These Baked Cheddar Pesto Egg Boats are the best any time of day meal. Airy, crusty ciabatta bread stuffed with cheesy eggs, basil pesto, and a sprinkling of everything bagel spice. The boats are then oven-baked until the eggs are perfectly cooked, the ciabatta is toasted, and the cheese is melted. When the egg boats come out of the oven, top them with crispy bacon and fresh basil. An easy recipe that can be enjoyed by everyone at the table. It’s perfection on so many levels and comes together in under an hour, great for both weekdays and weekends!
How cute are these egg boats? When I set out to make these, I really wasn’t sure how they would turn out. But I ended up loving the recipe! Sometimes I go into a recipe being very unsure about it. But it’s the best when I’m presently surprised by the outcome…just love when that happens! And, these boats couldn’t be easier to make or more delicious.
I’m excited to share these with you guys!! Especially because it’s no secret that when it comes to breakfast recipes, more times than not, I’m going to share something on the sweeter side. It’s not that I don’t love a savory breakfast recipe, because I do. It’s more that I enjoy sweet breakfast recipes in the morning and savory eggs for lunch or dinner…but that’s just me! Anyway, the point is, I rarely share savory breakfast recipes, so I’m overly excited to share these eggs.
(boats before adding the eggs)
Honestly, I just felt like completely switching things up today! There are some days when I’m really craving a recipe that feels different and nothing like what I’ve created before.
Usually, I’ll reserve Tuesday’s post for something sweet. But a savory breakfast recipe felt just right for today…as the snow gently falls outside. So that’s the story!
The quick and simple details
First, pick up a loaf of ciabatta bread, which is Italian table bread that’s full of airy pockets with a crusty crust. It’s one of my favorite loaves of bread! You’ll want to remove the top 1/3 of the bread. Then pull out some of the bread inside to create room for the eggs.
I like to use ciabatta bread, but you can really use whatever bread you love. Just make sure it’s something sturdy.
At this point, you should now have a boat for your eggs to snuggle up in. Rub the bread with olive oil, then sprinkle with everything bagel spice. The everything spice adds a lot of delicious flavor to the eggs. Now toast the bread for just a bit.
While the bread is in the oven, whisk together the eggs with a good amount of cheese and a handful of spinach.
Once the bread has toasted, add basil pesto, then pour the eggs into the ciabatta boats. Top with more cheese and bake away! Simple as that. As the eggs bake up, you’ll smell the wonderful smells of basil and even a touch of everything spice.
Finish the boats up!
Once the boats come out of the oven, top them with crispy bacon and fresh basil. I usually add a little more pesto as well. Then, slice and enjoy.
Simple and easy right? And so so good!
Looking for other egg-based savory recipes? Try these:
Lastly, if you make these Baked Cheddar Pesto Egg Boats be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Baked Everything Cheddar Egg Boats with Pesto
Calories Per Serving: 422 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel spice (optional)
- 5-6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Havarti or gouda cheese
- kosher salt and black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- crispy bacon, for serving (optional)
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.2. Remove the top 1/3 of the bread and then pull out some of the insides to create space for the eggs, being careful not to remove all of the bread, you want a thick layer of bread for your boat. Rub the inside of the bread with olive oil and everything bagel spice or salt and pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the bread is toasted. 3. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the chives, spinach, and havarti.4. Sprinkle the bottom of the bread with 1/2 cup cheddar, then drizzle over the pesto. Slowly pour in the eggs, allow the mix to sink into the boat. Top with the remaining cheddar. Bake 30-35 minutes, until just set in the center. 5. Top with bacon, basil, and extra pesto. Slice and eat!