Almond Honey Cake with Strawberry Ripple Cream.
Did you know it’s strawberry season?
I always used to think strawberries were a summer thing, and they totally are, but apparently they come into season in the spring and continue on through the summer. YES!!
I love a good strawberry. Well, I actually love any berry and pretty much any fruit, but you guys already know that by now….ahh sorry if I’m always shoving fruit in your face.
Anyway, since I promised no rambling today, after Friday’s long as ever, weird as ever story, I am just going to focus on this delicious and pretty, almond honey cake with strawberry ripple cream.
Oddly, this is another non-chocolate sweet recipe for me. I cannot believe how many non chocolate recipes I have been doing lately (could my chocolate cravings be subsiding as I age? Nah!), but spring just has me craving lighter sweets. Plus, I’m really loving trying “new to me” things, and this cake is definitely a new to me thing. Granted, I actually think of this as more of a brunch recipe than a dessert, but it is still sweet. Feel free to present this cake as you like, but either way, I think it would be perfect for your Mother’s Day brunch.
So, I am in love with this combo of almonds and honey. First, I love honey and its natural sweetness. Anytime I can use it in place of sugar, I do. This is probably why I also love Almond Breeze Almondmilk Hint of Honey Vanilla . It’s pretty much like having a super healthy, sweet snack right at your fingertips. Like seriously, this milk and a warm chocolate chip cookie???
Perfection. Try it and you will see.
I will not lie, the flavors in this cake were totally inspired by the hint of honey almond milk. I basically just turned the flavors into a cake and added some strawberry cream.
Simple and delicious.
The cake is beyond moist due to the fact that it literally gets a soaking of honey once it comes out of the oven. Side note: Ahh…having the willpower to not even try (test?) that warm honey soaked cake was maybe the hardest thing ever. Just prepare yourselves, and if you cave, well no judging here.
The nice thing about this cake is that you can adjust the sweetness level to your liking simply by adding more or less honey. So if you are thinking of this as more of a brunch thing, you can go a little lighter. Dessert, a little heavier. It’s really just whatever you are feeling.
Ok and that cream!! Oh it’s the perfect compliment to this sweet cake. I made it using a little creme fresh because I wanted to be all fancy, but it made the cream just so special. And with those fresh strawberries swirled in, well it’s literally the perfect icing on the cake.
Sorry that’s kind of cheesy, but it’s true!
Oh and before I go, please ignore my oversized Von Zipper t-shirt in these photos…it’s my younger brothers and well, it was just a cozy, wear warm clothes (snowy), kind of day. That and I REALLY need some new clothes!
Almond Honey Cake with Strawberry Ripple Cream.
*If needed regular Almond Breeze Almondmilk Original Unsweetened can be used.
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey divided, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour/almond meal ground almonds
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces creme fresh
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries diced + more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one 8-inch round cake pan. Line with parchment paper, then butter/spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar, 1/4 cup honey, lemon zest and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at time, beating after each until incorporated. Add the flour and beat until combined. Add the almond meal, baking soda and salt, beating until just combined and smooth. Pour in 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons [Almond Breeze Almondmilk Hint of Honey Vanilla | https://www.almondbreeze.com/?navid=592&pid=593] and beat until combined and smooth. The batter should be thick.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake.
- Remove from the oven and use a chopstick or fork to poke about 12 holes all over the cake. Drizzle the remaining honey over the cake and allow it to cool in the pan, at least 20 minutes.
To make the cream, add the heavy cream and creme fresh to a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes. Beat in the powdered sugar until just combined. Stir in the strawberries.
- Turn the cake out onto a serving plate. In a bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon honey almond milk until combined. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and then drizzle with a little honey. Sprinkle on the toasted almonds. Now spread the cream over the cake and top with fresh strawberries. Enjoy with more honey for serving. The cake can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days.
And now we eat cake…for breakfast…snack or whenever. Cake all the time!