20 Minute Garlic Basil Brown Butter Pasta.
Kicking off tomato season a bit early with this 20 Minute Garlic Basil Brown Butter Pasta. Buttery, basily pasta with garlic and black pepper, served topped with fresh cherry tomatoes. It’s a garden fresh take on pasta, that’s ready in about 20 minutes, and uses mostly pantry staple ingredients. Ideal for any day of the week from now until fall!
You know those dishes you crave on the busiest/craziest/most stressful days? This is that dish, and it is perfection. Or as close to it as it can get. It’s also so delicious and so easy that it’s almost embarrassing. I wondered if I should really be sharing what’s essentiality “buttered” pasta. But the bottom line? This pasta is too good not to share with you all today.
This pasta is one of my go-to dinners when I have zero time and zero energy left to cook. It’s also 100% inspired by my mom, which makes me love it even more.
First, let me back up. I shared a version of this recipe on my Instagram stories a few weeks back and you guys seemed to go absolutely crazy for it. SO much so that I’m still getting questions about when I will be sharing the recipe here on HBH. This is not the exact recipe I shared on my stories, but it’s similar, and it’s just as good. So hoping you guys are as excited as I am about this pasta.
Growing up my mom’s specialty (other than her chocolate chip cookies of course) was her buttered pasta. What’s buttered pasta you ask?
Exactly as it sounds, butter + pasta, and most definitely a pinch of salt too. My mom’s go-to, and to this day one of her favorites. Though she now much prefers my version that you see here today, with plenty of fresh basil and cherry tomatoes.
This dish starts out very similar to a classic cacio e pepe, but in addition to black pepper, I also like to add a good amount of garlic. I know some of you are not garlic fans. If that’s you, just omit it. BUT for those of us who love garlic, this is the pasta for you. Aside from all the basil, the garlic is key here. It caramelizes in the butter and creates the most subtle garlic flavor that’s also the slightest bit sweet.
Absolutely mouthwatering when tossed with pasta, garden fresh basil, and plenty of black pepper. SIMPLE, but DELISH.
Now, you could stop right there and serve this pasta up as is. It’s great, and often times this is just how I like to do it…
But, cherry tomato season is upon us. I couldn’t help but top this buttery pasta with fresh cherry tomatoes and a touch of lemon. Again, not completely needed, but a very tasty addition if you have a garden full of tomatoes. Or just hit up your local market or farm market.
I know it’s a tinsy bit early for the garden tomatoes. But my market has been stocked with sweet as can be California cherry tomatoes for the last few weeks. So I pretty much always have some in my pantry these days. Too good to pass up, you know?
And that’s it. Takes maybe 15-20 minutes to make, fresh, buttery, hinted with garlic, so much basil flavor, and finished with sweet cherry tomatoes that burst in your mouth. 8 simple ingredients that when combined taste really, really, dang good.
And that’s about all you need to know. Dinner tonight = done!
If you make this 20 Minute Garlic Basil Brown Butter Pasta, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
20 Minute Garlic Basil Butter Pasta
Buttery, basily pasta with garlic and black pepper, served topped with fresh cherry tomatoes. Ready in about 20 mins and uses mostly pantry staple ingredients.
- 1 pound bucatini pasta
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Just before draining, reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain.
2. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and pepper and cook 1-2 minutes, until the butter is browning and the garlic is golden and fragrant. Reduce the heat to low and add 1/2 cup pasta water, the pasta, remaining butter, and pecorino. Tossing until melted. Remove from the heat, add 3/4 cup basil and toss, adding in more pasta water if needed to thin the sauce.
3. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, remaining 1/4 cup basil, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt.
5. To serve, divide the pasta among bowls and serve topped with tomatoes. Eat and ENJOY.
Our Favorite Recipes
Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter and Honey Cheerio Bars.