Oh yes, it’s Margarita time!
Yes, I am well aware that it is Monday.
But hey, who the heck said you can’t have a little fun on Monday?
Plus, I already have margarita plans for you guys on friday (hint, it’s not a drink). I went a little Margarita crazy!
Honestly, I do not even know where to start with these.
The margarita chicken or the margarita guacamole?
Or actually, maybe I should start with how the weekend went? Yeah, let’s start there.
The weather was insane this weekend! And I mean insane in a good way.
Sun, sun, sun! Barely a cloud in the sky, it was awesome. The temps even warmed up to the forties and fifties on Sunday, but if you were in the sun it felt more like the sixties. Score!
Now, let’s hope that snow that was going on just four short days ago stays away. Snow in May is a completely normal thing up here in the mountains. Really, one day it is sunny and sixty and the next it’s thirty and snowing. Let’s just think positive thoughts though, sunny, sunny skies!
Let’s talk Margarita’s!
Alright, technically I did not make real margaritas, but trust me these quesadillas are the next best thing. No wait, to me they are the best and closest thing I am gonna get to a real margarita. Remember guys, I am only the young age of the nineteen and to be honest I am not into alcohol. Love cooking with it, but straight up? It’s just not my thing.
Yes, yet another reason why I am maybe the weirdest person you have (virtually) ever met.
So these quesadillas? They are so good, so cheesy and so fun.
The marinade for the chicken is basically like mixing up a margarita. Just take away the ice and add some olive oil. Then let that chicken marinate for a least thirty minutes to soak up all that flavor!
Ah huh! Yeah people, it’s five o’ clock somewhere!
My favorite though is the Margarita Guacamole. Obviously.
I have no words for this guacamole. It left everyone at the table speechless. Seriously, it’s just that good. I not only topped the quesadillas with the guacamole, but I put the guacamole in the quesadilla. Yes, in the quesadilla. Just do it, you will not regret it.
Oh and I always put rice in my quesadillas. Always. You gotta have rice. I don’t know why, but it just makes them good. I learned that from my dad. He always put rice in our quesadillas when we were younger and I guess I must have liked them, cause now I cannot make a quesadilla without the rice. I just can’t.
- Whisk the tequila, olive oil, lime juice, orange juice and honey in a bowl. Add the garlic, jalapeño, lime zest, cumin, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add chicken to a ziplock bag or baking dish and pour marinade ingredients over top. Marinate (in the fridge) for 2-24 hours, flipping chicken a few times. When you're ready to prepare the quesadillas, preheat the grill to medium high heat and grill the chicken for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until cooked through. Allow to cool five minutes and then chop into bit size pieces or shred with a fork. Set aside.
- While the chicken is cooling make the margarita guacamole. Mash the avocados (I left mine pretty chunky, but go as chunky or smooth as you want) in a medium size bowl. Add the tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, lime zest, lime juice, orange juice and tequila. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat an electric griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add a bit of olive oil.
- Place 4 tortillas down, covering each with a bit of both cheeses, then evenly distribute the margarita guacamole over top (I saved some of the guacamole for dipping). Then evenly distribute the rice, then add the diced chicken. Add the pickled jalapeños and sprinkle with a little more of both cheeses. Place the tortilla on the griddle or skillet, then cover with the other tortilla. Cook until the bottom is crispy and golden brown, then gently flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Cut into fourths and serve with the remaining Margarita Guacamole.
Margarita Guacamole slightly adapted from Food Network Mag May 2013 Issue
Maybe this Margarita Monday will be the next big craze!