You guys. It’s pancakes.
And on a Friday.
And there is no chocolate. Like none at all.
This is so unlike me.
I know, but hear me out.
It’s mid August (how is this even possible) and things like corn and tomatoes are everywhere. The stores, the farmers markets and even your own backyards (lucky) are churning out the most fresh and gorgeous produce right now and my gosh I am using them like crazy! Therefore, I figured I could hold on to the chocolate post a little while longer and instead show you one with more August flair.
Oh and FYI, over the next two weeks you can guarantee that I will be cramming in every last summer recipe I can. I made it a goal in my head that I have to stay in “summer” (no matter how cold it gets up here in the mountains) until at least the second week of September.
But trust me, I doubt I can last two more posts without showing you guys some chocolate. So don’t worry, there will be that too.
I cannot decide whether these are sweet or savory.
I mean, they are definitely sweet, but not so much so that they limit themselves to breakfast. They are also savory, with the summertime freshness of the corn and jalapenos shining through. Let’s be clear though, these are totally a full on meal.
Breakfast, lunch or dinner, these pancakes rule. But since I’m being totally honest here, in my book, they do more for lunch or dinner.
First there is the cornbread pancakes, which are obviously savory and obviously awesome.
Like maybe even better than cornbread because they are so doughy, warm and moist. Then they’re is also that bit of crispy on the outside. They even have a nice texture component from the charred corn and jalapeños.
Oh and then there is the cheese. Duh. Cheese in pancakes is amazing. Trust me.
Just do it.
Next the roasted blueberries.
The roasted blueberries that get mixed into a buttery honey syrupy/sauce that is well… simply amazing.
How could it not be? It’s roasted blueberries doused in honey. Best combo.
Put it this way, I had leftover syrup and I have been putting it on everything in sight. Toast, waffles, even grilled cheese (AMAZING). It’s so good.
Oh and if you think this is weird, just get over that. Because weird food is good, and if you like corn bread and blueberries you’ll love these.
Plus, they are pancakes and who does not like pancakes?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the blueberries on the baking sheet. Roast for 10-15 minutes, or until berries start to burst. Remove from oven.
- While the blueberries roast, char the corn over on open flame or under the broiler set on high. Char the corn until somewhat-blackened but not completely burnt, about 1 minute per side and 5-6 minutes total. It will crackle and pop, this is normal. Remove corn from heat, and when cool enough to handle, shave off kernels using a large knife.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the honey, egg, buttermilk and canola oil. Fold in the corn kernels, chopped jalapeño and cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pot add the honey and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add the butter and stir to melt. Once the blueberries are done roasting add them to the syrup. Stir to combine and boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measure, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with the roasted blueberry syrup.
Yeah, no one!