Whew! Thanksgiving whipped my butt!
And my kitchen! You should have seen it, it looked like a tornado whipped through there! Although it kind of looks like that everyday until I decide I have made enough of a mess for one day and need to clean it up ASAP! And when I clean, I really clean. Trust me, ask anyone and they will tell you not to get in my path when I am in my cleaning mode!
Aside from the mess our Thanksgiving was pretty great. The food was good, the company better and the holiday spirit was in the air! We gobbled down some deliciously moist turkey smothered in super smooth gravy with a side of sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, crescent rolls, popovers, Brussel sprouts, green beans, spaghetti squash, and cranberry sauce! Wow, that’s a lot of food!
Our holidays are always pretty chaotic, but this Thanksgiving someone brilliantly decided it would be a good idea to bring in the fresh-cut, bushy, 15 foot christmas tree we had cut down 30 minutes earlier in the midst of turkey carving, gravy making, and potato mashing! To say it was a mad house would be a major understatement! But somehow we got the tree up and the turkey on the table all within 30 minutes!
After dinner and lots of pie, ice cream, and whipped cream it was time to clean up and string on those light! And you know since it had been a good hour and half since we chowed down on pie I thought it would be good idea to make some hot cocoa. It just would not be christmas time without christmas music and the most delicious cup of hot cocoa.
OMG, guys this really is the best cup of hot cocoa! Creamy and chocolatly with just the slightest hint of mocha. So good. If this does not put you in the Christmas spirit, I do not know what will. My mom was lucky enough to get a cup she looked like she was in heaven drinking this. See Mom drinks Hot Chocolate every morning, like people drink coffee. Sometimes she will even have if after dinner for dessert. So you can imagine she has tried a lot of hot chocolate in her day. She said that hands down this was the best cup of hot chocolate she has EVER had! Now that says a lot, a whole lot!
Added bonus? It is super easy and makes a really cute Christmas gift! Just fill up a mason jar with the cocoa powder (the recipe makes about 6 cups, around 18 servings, depending on how much mix you use) write directions on how to make the perfect cup of hot cocoa and decorate the jar all nice and cute! Easy, cheap, and insanely delicious!
Creamy Hot cocoa, the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter day!
- For hot cocoa mix: Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Working in two batches, pulse the ingredients in a food processor until the hot chocolate in finely ground.
- For whipped cream: Place you mixing bowl and whip in the freezer fo 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour the cream into the cold bowl and whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.
- To make hot cocoa: Heat four cups milk on medium low heat until almost boiling. Be careful not to burn the milk. Stir 1 1/3 cups of of the cocoa powder into the hot milk.
- Serve with whipped cream and marshmellows.
- This make around 6 cups of cocoa powder.
*Whole milk works the best, but both 2% and skim would also work. It will not be as creamy though.
*For every 1 cup of milk add 1/3 cup cocoa powder (or more) to your taste.
All I need now is a wood burning fire and some chestnuts roasting!