Who does not love a good taco?
They’re fun, customizable and almost too cute to eat. I said almost.
You can pile on the toppings (um, hello avocado and cheese), layer in the sauce and eat um with your hands.
What’s not to love?
The other day, I was busy. Who’s not right? So I dusted off my slow cooker, browned some chicken, threw in some seasonings and called dinner done. Seven hours later I had one flavorful sauce and some seriously tender chicken, it just falls apart! Grab a tortilla, avocados, fresh cilantro, some extra sauce and a whole lotta cheese! You now have your self one loaded taco!
Simple. Easy. Awesome.
The best part, apart from them being ridiculously easy of course, was the smell. The house smelled so good the whole day. Like what, I don’t even know, I guess kind of like a sweet chili smell, with a bit of spice. I don’t know, but it was good!
Everyone from picky eaters, to healthy eaters, to food snobs will love these tacos.
Flavorful chicken tacos, made easy in the crockpot!
- Coat a slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine first 8 ingredients and 1/4 tsp each, salt and black pepper.
- Rub half the spice mixture all over the chicken breast and thighs.
- Heat 2 tsp of the oil in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches and brown 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to the slow cooker. Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in same skillet. Add onions and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Place on top of chicken, add the diced green chiles and the remaining spice mixture.
- Whisk together the orange juice, tomato paste, lime juice, cider vinegar, garlic, hot sauce and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or on high for 4 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and shred. Add sauce until chicken is just moistened. Serve with tortillas, avocados, cheese, cilantro, and additional sauce, if desired.