Let’s talk about the Best Wings Ever.
And guys, I am not even talking about the greasy fried wings that get tossed in butter and hot sauce. I know, I know, what?!?
I am talking Thai wings with a fruity, tropical, spicy pineapple salsa. It kind has me written all over it.
PLUS, I am totally digging the Thai flavors, they feel semi-light and so refreshing. AND that salsa, even though it’s cold it makes me feel all warm….which is clearly what I am looking for, since once again I am freezing by butt off over here today in this arctic sector of the world where I live. OK, I don’t technically live in the arctic, but Summit County, CO is pretty much the same if you ask me.
It’s been so flipping cold this last week. Believe it or not though, I am still enjoying winter, winter foods and all that. This is good news since it snows till May (sometimes June).
All the cold weather has me craving tropical flavors and hot spiciness though, so I turned those cravings into baked wings for the Super Bowl. I guess I can’t really say they are healthy because, hey they are wings, but they are totally “healthier” and packed full of flavor and color.
And they are fun. I love fun, pretty food.
SO, I told you that this week was all about Super Bowl food and I really wasn’t kidding. I figured that starting things off with wings was just the right way to go.
Wings are classic game day food, right?
The salsa can be made in advance, and the wings can be baked and tossed in the sauce in advance too. Just store the salsa in the fridge. For the wings, after baking them, toss them in the sauce as directed and place them on the baking sheet, but stop here, cover and refrigerate. Then just warm them back up when ready to serve.
Makes for some pretty easy entertaining!
Oh, and one more thing about that salsa. If I were you, I would so double it. This salsa is so great with chips, on sandwiches, on top of fish (my dad loved having extra for his salmon)…. or simply just provide some spoons. Even on its own – so yummy!
And don’t think just because there is fruit involved that I got all girly on you.
This salsa has some kick – just like salsa should!
Thai Peanut Chicken Wings with Fiery Pineapple-Jalapeño Salsa.
Servings: 30 wings
Calories Per Serving: 136 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 3 pounds chicken wings tips removed, drumettes and flats separated
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted (or olive oil)
- 2/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups sweet thai chili sauce use more or less to your taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemongrass finely chopped
- chopped cilantro + chopped peanut for serving
View Recipe Comments
- To make the salsa, combine the pineapple, mango (if using), jalepeno, red chili, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Toss well, cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To make the wings, preheat oven to 400°F and set a wire rack inside of a large rimmed baking sheet. Place the wings, oil and a pinch of salt in large bowl; toss to coat. Spread the wings out in a single layer over the prepared rack.
- Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, 45–50 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Combine the coconut milk, peanut butter, sweet thai chili sauce (start with 3/4 cup and then add more as desired), soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, brown sugar and lemon grass. Whisk until smooth and pourable. Taste and adjust spiciness to your liking.
- Line another rimmed baking sheet with foil and top with a wire rack. Add half of wings to peanut sauce and toss to evenly coat. Place wings in a single layer on prepared rack. Repeat with the remaining wings and bake until glaze is glossy and lightly caramelized, 5–10 minutes. Garnish the wings with cilantro and peanuts. Serve alongside the remaining sauce and pineapple salsa.
Thai Peanut Chicken Wings with Fiery Pineapple-Jalapeño Salsa-Perfect Super Bowl all around pleaser!