New Year’s just isn’t complete without some margaritas.
I mean, right?!?!
Lyndsie, my brother Bren’s girlfriend, is all about the margaritas. Actually, she’s really all about tequila, but she’d never turn down a margarita either. In fact, Lyndsie and my cousin Abby were just down here at the barn trying to convince me to make more margaritas… yup, my Christmas vacation has included a lot of bartending. And you know, I’ve gotten pretty good at it.
I swear I have found the perfect amount of tequila, to lime juice, to fruity mixer for margs. OKAY, so maybe some people might add an extra shot…or two of tequila…cough, cough Lyndsie. But they all love them and I cannot lie, this spicy margarita is delicious.
When my cousin Abby first suggested it, I wasn’t sure I would be into drinking something spicy, but it’s kind of awesome. AND the chili salt rim? YES. I may or may not be licking that rim clean.
Abby lives in San Diego and says that the spicy margaritas are her favorite. SO, since we do Mexican every New Year’s Eve I thought I would try to make my own. I of course had to put in my own little twist on them and made them into spicy GRAPEFRUIT margaritas. Personally, the grapefruit is perfection. You could really swap in any juice of your liking though. Pomegranate, mango or pineapple would all be DELICIOUS.
Let see, what else? Oh yes, so to make the margaritas a bit spicy, you add the jalapeños directly to the drink. For a big batch recipe you’ll want to let the jalapeños sit in the drink for anywhere from 1-4 hours or until the drink has reached your desired level of spiciness. The more seeds you leave in the jalapeños, the spicier the drinks will become.
To make just one drink, simply shake a couple jalapeño slices in a cocktail shaker until spicy and awesome. It’s all simple stuff, but so good!
Abby has official given this margarita a big TWO thumbs up, so I was pretty pumped! Plus, umm, aren’t they so fun and pretty?!? Kind of loving the colors!
Spicy Grapefruit Margarita.
Servings: 6 Drinks
Calories Per Serving: 269 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
Big Batch Margaritas
- 1 1/2 cups silver tequila 12 ounces
- 2 cups grapefruit juice 16 ounces
- 3/4 cups fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup agave nectar may also use honey
- 1-2 whole jalapeños halved (depending on how spicy you want your drink)
- slices lime + grapefruit for serving
To make just ONE drink
View Recipe Comments
Spicy Chili Salt Rim
- In a bowl, combine the chili power salt and sugar. Mix well to combine. Use this mixture to rim your glasses.
Big Batch Margarita
- Combine all the ingredients in a pitcher and stir to combine. Keep chilled in the fridge for 1-3 hours. Taste the drink every hour to check for spiciness. The longer you leave the jalapeño in the drink the spicier the drink will become. Once the drink is spiced to your liking, remove the jalapeños.
- When ready to serve, salt the rims of 4-6 glasses. Add ice to each glass and pour the margaritas over the ice. Add a grapefruit and a lime wedge.
To make just ONE drink
- Salt the rim of your glass. Combine all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake until combined and then strain into your prepared glass. The longer you shake the drink, the spicier it will be come. Add a grapefruit wedge and a slice of jalapeño if desired.
Cheers to Abby and her spicy margaritas!