It’s finally winter squash season again!!
And pomegranate season! And roasting season!!
YES. YES. YES!
And thankfully, it’s always pineapple season. Just making sure we’re clear on that, cause you know my pineapple obsession is REAL. Like I currently have three sitting on my counter and one cut in my fridge. Yes, I will eat them/use them, all before they go bad. <–Truth.
So back to all this winter squash that’s starting to overflow in my grocery store. I am SO into it, and yes, I have at least four acorn squash and four butternut squash sitting in my pantry. Clearly I like to be fully stocked. Just take a look at my pantry (you’ll get chance on Friday). It’s currently filled to capacity.
Actually we just did a huge Costco run and bought WAY too much stuff…for waaay too much money. BUT, my pantry shelves are full and this just makes me happy inside. 🙂
Yeah, I know, weirdo.
SIDE NOTE: It was my birthday on Tuesday (I am kind of birthday shy, which is why I did not mention it) and my brother Brendan got me this super cute cowboy hat and a really creepy toy soldier that he snuck onto my desk while I was not looking. It’s staring at me now, and well… it’s just uncomfortable.
Like its eyes, they move… CREEPY.
But the best gift was surely Asher’s. She framed a picture she made that has the words “I Love You” over a photo of her holding out her arms for a hug. If you follow me on Snapchat than you got to see a pic of it. Cutest thing ever!
So this fish recipe.
My dad says this is his favorite fish recipe to date! WHOA!
And get this, for the longest time he also said that he really dislikes all white fish because it’s boring. He also said that he has never liked a fish cooked in the oven. WHOA! I totally changed his thinking with this recipe, and to say that I am pumped would be and understatement.
It’s kind of an Asian meets fall flavors recipes. I know that sounds a little weird, but it works. The fish is a little spicy and full of a delicious cilantro chile sauce. There is a little ginger, fish sauce, garlic and allspice going on too. YUM.
But the shinning star here is the acorn squash/pineapple. It MAKES the recipe complete. So flipping good. And simple too!
Oh, and did I mention that you only need ONE PAN to make this entire meal?? Yep, just one pan! I know, so awesome. Practically no dishes.
Oh and to finish, I added some pomegranate arils because well, it just felt so right.
Beyond excited that these autumn beauties are back in season. They are my FAVORITE! Prepare for a pomegranate overload then next few months. YAY!
Slow Roasted Cod with Brown Sugar Pineapple Glazed Acorn Squash.
Servings: 4 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 519 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1 medium acorn squash sliced into half moons
- 1/2 of a ripe pineapple cored + cubed
- 6 tablespoons butter cubed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems separated, stems finely chopped
- 1 fresno chile seeded if desired, finely chopped (may use a jalapeno)
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- ¼ cup sesame or peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce may use soy instead
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1½ pounds skin-on black cod or cod fillet
- arils from one pomegranate for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with a little olive oil.
- To the baking sheet, add the acorn squash and pineapple in an even layer. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the squash + pineapple. Season with salt + pepper. Disperse the butter all over the squash. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until the squash is soft (the squash will continue to cook later while the fish roasts too). I like to flip the squash and pineapple halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, combine the cilantro, fresno chile, garlic, sesame oil, tomato paste, fish sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, ginger, sambal oelek and allspice in a bowl.
- When the squash is done roasting, remove it from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Make room for the fish on the pan with the squash, placing the fish in the center of the pan. Spoon the cilantro sauce all over the fish and a little on the acorn squash + pineapple too.
- Place the pan back in the oven and continue roasting for 20-30 minutes or until the fish is fully cooked through.
- To serve, sprinkle the pomegranate arils over the fish. Enjoy warm!
View Recipe Comments
*Cod adapted from [Bon Appetit | http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roasted-black-cod-with-red-chermoula].
But really, you need to make this slow roasted cod with brown sugar pineapple glazed acorn squash (whew!), it’s going to make you SO happy. No really, like it’s going to make you smile. 🙂