This is SO cheesy, but um… winner, winner, chicken dinner!?
I mean, I know that’s like the cheesiest line ever, BUT it’s kind of true. You really can’t beat a ONE skillet chicken and potato kind of dinner. I just feel like it’s something everyone loves.
Healthy, cozy, comfort food, you know?
Typically, roasted chicken and rice is my go-to dinner when I need a little comfort in life, but I decided to throw myself a curve ball and go for potatoes with this dish!
SIDE NOTE: did anyone else literally live on chicken and rice as a kid? I swear, it’s all my parents ever made. Ok well, chicken and rice, plus tacos… but I was all about the chicken and rice.
Do you guys have certain foods you make when you’re feeling kind of down? For me, my fall back is always some kind of roasted chicken, which is weird, since I’m really more of a pasta, pizza and cheese kind of girl in everyday life. BUT something about the smell of the chicken roasting away in the oven gets me every time.
It takes me back to being a kid and I love that.
I’m curious though, what do you guys make when your mood hits a low or you’re just feeling the need to make something you know you will love? Is it soup? Mom’s lasagna? COOKIES!? I totally NEED to know so I can create us delicious recipes inspired by you guys! duh. 🙂
The real reason I made this skillet cranberry roasted chicken though is not because I was feeling down, but more because I had a GIANT bag of fresh cranberries sitting my fridge that needed to be used up. Ok, and they are so pretty that I kind of just wanted to come up with a fun and different way to cook with cranberries!
Don’t get me wrong, cranberry sauce is good and all, but they can be used in so many delicious sweet and savory ways!
Enter this chicken: it’s simple, quick and delicious. Seasoned with thyme, rosemary and garlic, seared, and then roasted to perfection over a bed of cute little baby potatoes. I also added a splash of white wine, and um, maybe a pat or two of butter…you know for good measure and all!
Plus, the addition of carrots totally makes this a complete meal. You have your protein, your starch and your veggie! You see, winner, winner chicken dinner!
OK promise, that’s the last time I will ever say that… at least in this post!
In all seriousness though, this dinner is so delicious. No crazy exotic flavors or anything like that, but sometimes classic flavors are just what we all need, and I feel like the cranberries give this dish a bright update. Not to mention they are so good! They add just the right amount of bittersweetness which pairs so well with the roasted chicken and especially the rosemary.
They’re pretty too…even kind of festive….if you think the way I do!
Another awesome aspect… it’s done in an hour AND dirties up just ONE skillet. <–my dream way to cook everything.
Skillet Cranberry Roasted Chicken.
Servings: 4 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 592 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 4 skin-on chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- zest + juice of 1/2 lemon
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 pound baby potatoes halved
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub the chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil, the thyme, rosemary, garlic and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken, skin side down, and sear until golden, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook 5 minutes more. Remove the chicken from the skillet. Add 2 tablespoons butter, the potatoes, carrots, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Pour in the wine, deglazing the pan and scraping up any browned bits off the bottom. Simmer the wine for 5 minutes or until reduced slightly. Remove from the heat and nestle the chicken into the potatoes. Add the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, toss together the cranberries, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the cranberries over the chicken. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Plate the chicken and potatoes and drizzle with the sauce left in the pan. EAT!
Bottom line: I made us chicken, and I hope it makes your Thursday perfect!