Salted Spicy Watermelon Margarita Popsicles.
These Salted Spicy Watermelon Margarita Popsicles are the popsicle to have stashed away in your freezer at all times. Tequila mixed with a splash of orange liquor, sweet watermelon, a touch of citrusy lime, and spicy jalapeños…all frozen into popsicles molds for a boozy pop. Add a layer of sweet kiwi fruit to the top to make these pops look just like a slice of watermelon. Finish each pop off with a little flaky salt…and maybe a side margarita too.
Well, aren’t these kind of fun?
These tequila pops were yet another last-minute idea that I knew I had to share before the upcoming July 4th celebrations…just one week from today. I actually wasn’t planning to share a new cocktail with you guys today. But when the idea for these pops came to mind…well, I just couldn’t resist sharing this easy recipe. These pops are just so fun!
So with that, I’m keeping this post very short and sweet and leaving you with only the “need to know” details.
The very simple details.
These popsicles are EASY. And yes, I know many of you might be thinking tequila does not freeze – and you’re right. But when using a little bit of tequila mixed with liquids (watermelon juice + lime juice) the pops are able to freeze solid. You’ll have a softer frozen popsicle, but it’s delicious this way.
Here’s how these go. Blend up some sweet summer watermelon with an entire spicy jalapeño to infuse these popsicles with spiciness. Then strain the mix to a pitcher. Now add a splash of tequila, orange liquor, lots of lime juice, and a little lime zest. Freeze the mix into popsicles molds, dixie cups, or snow cones, until just firm.
Now, blend up some kiwi with cucumbers and pour this sweet mix over the watermelon layer. This is our watermelon “rind”. Freeze again until solid.
And that’s it. SIMPLE.
Serve these popsicles with lots of flaky sea salt…and maybe even your favorite margarita cocktail alongside.
Want to omit the booze?
No problem! If you don’t enjoy alcohol or want to serve these to kids, feel free to omit the tequila and orange liquor. I would add a splash more citrus, like orange juice, grapefruit juice, or lemon juice. You might want to either omit the jalapeño or halve it, depending on how your kids feel about spice. Now you just have a really fun salty, spicy (maybe) watermelon popsicles.
Either way, these need to be stashed in your freezer all summer long….because you never know when you’ll need a salty, boozy, watermelon popsicle. Perfect for July 4th and just about every other summer day to follow. Have fun with these and enjoy!
Looking for other popsicle recipes? Here are some favorites:
Lastly, if you make this these salted spicy watermelon margarita popsicles, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Salted Spicy Watermelon Margarita Popsicles
The only popsicle you need to have stashed away in your freezer at all times.
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeded, if desired (optional)
- 2-6 tablespoons granulated sugar, using more or less to your taste
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon tequila
- 2 tablespoon Cointreau (orange liquor) (orange liquor)
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 4 kiwi, peeled and chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
1. In a blender, blend the watermelon, jalapeño, and sugar. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher. Add the tequila, Cointreau, and 1/2 cup lime juice + lime zest, stirring to combine. Pour the mixture among 6 popsicle molds or Dixie cups. Freeze one hour.
2. Rinse the blender out and blend the kiwi, cucumbers, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and 1 tablespoon tequila, blend until smooth. Pour the kiwi over the watermelon layer, filling the molds to the top. Insert popsicles sticks. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
3. Serve with lime wedges and salt...and maybe even a margarita too!
To Make Alcohol Free: omit both the tequila and orange liquor. Add 1/3 cup lemon juice, grapefruit juice, or orange juice.
Our Favorite Recipes
Lemon Parmesan Salmon with Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad.