Roasted Mushroom Kale Pizza.
This Roasted Mushroom Kale Pizza is my go-to for busy nights. Homemade pizza dough topped with goat and havarti cheese, balsamic mushrooms, kale, and fresh herbs. All baked in a super hot oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly, the mushrooms roasted, the kale crisp, and the crust golden and perfect. Every last bite of this pizza is delicious. And all that kale makes this kind of like eating a salad…but with cheesy bread underneath!
I’m always excited to make pizza, but something inside me was just dying to make a good cheesy pizza this week.
After a week full of cooking meaty meals for my family, I was really was craving something loaded with vegetables. My brothers are the kind of guys that are all about the meat, and not so much the veggies. Sure, I could have made a salad, but after the huge romaine lettuce recall, I figured I’d use that as an excuse to pick up some wild mushrooms and kale and make a simple homemade pizza.
It was a good idea, and something about this pizza feels very fitting for this time of year.
December is just a couple of days away and I’m slowly easing my way into holiday mode. It seems that all we can talk about right now is cyber week shopping (have you gotten any done?). And of course, holiday decorating, office parties, gift exchanges, and so much more.
Don’t get me wrong, I love every minute of the holiday season. But it also means that things are extra busy, and time for cooking is limited. Which means weeknight meals need to be simple and quick, but of course, they also need to be delicious.
Enter this pizza, it’s the perfect mix of comforting, healthy…ish food, that’s also quick and simple to prepare.
Start out with fresh pizza dough. You can make your own (this is my favorite whole wheat dough), or use store-bought.
The next step is key. Massage the mushrooms and kale with garlic, herbs, and oil. Massaging the veggies not only infuses them with flavor, but also allows them to crisp up beautifully in the oven. And in a short amount of time too.
Now, I’m not sure if I’ve ever shared this tip with you guys, but make sure your pizza dough is at room temperature before you begin to roll it out. If the dough is at all cold it will just spring back at you and not roll out very easily. Room temperature creates for a perfectly baked thin crust, with crisp edges and a soft center.
Spread the (room temp) dough with a little fig preserves. Fig preserves are my secret ingredient. They take the pizza from really good, to beyond delicious. Next add the fresh sage, chili flakes and creamy goat cheese. Top with mushrooms and kale, add a good amount of harvarti cheese, and just a sliver or two of butter…
Yes, I did just tell you to put butter on your pizza. Promise it’s going to be good. The butter melts over the mushrooms and adds just the right amount of delicious buttery flavor. It tastes so indulgent, and pairs really well with the mushrooms.
When the pizza comes out of the oven, the cheese is melted, the mushrooms have a nice little char, and the kale is crisp.
The combo of goat cheese, havarti cheese, mushrooms and kale is one that is truly, melt in your mouth good. And it’s one of my go-to pizza topping combos, because I often have the ingredients on hand. Which makes this pizza great for all the surprise guests that show up in December!
Plus, as I mentioned above, all that kale pretty much makes this a cheesy pizza topped with salad. So health food…go with me on this…it’s December, it works.
And with that, all I have to say is, pizza for dinner anyone? Yes, please!
If you make this pizza, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Roasted Mushroom Kale Pizza
Homemade pizza dough topped with goat and havarti cheese, balsamic mushrooms, kale, and fresh herbs. Baked in a super hot oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly, the mushrooms roasted, the kale crisp, and the crust golden and perfect!
- 2 cups shredded Tuscan kale
- 8 ounces mixed wild mushrooms, torn
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, plus more for serving
- 1/2 pound pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon fig preserves (optional)
- 4 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup shredded havarti cheese
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, thinly sliced into 3 pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the kale, mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Massage the kale and mushrooms with your hands for 1 minute.
3. On a lightly floured surface, push/roll the dough out until it is pretty thin (about a 10-12 inch circle). Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
4. Spread the dough with preserves. Add the sage, crushed red pepper, and goat cheese, then layer the kale and mushrooms over the cheese. Top with havarti and thin slices of butter.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
6. Top the pizza with fresh thyme. ENJOY!
Our Favorite Recipes
Santa’s Hot Chocolate Cookbook Gift Box.