Prosciutto Apple and Sage Butter Chicken with Cider Pan Sauce.
Oven roasted, cheesy prosciutto-wrapped chicken with Honeycrisp apples, roasted garlic, a little crispy sage, and browned butter. All served in a delicious white wine and cider pan sauce…for good measure. It doesn’t get simpler, cozier, or more delicious than this crispy prosciutto chicken. All you need is one skillet, 30 minutes, and fresh in-season autumn ingredients. Great any night of the week with a side of rice pilaf and a colorful salad.
A lot of times my favorite recipes are the recipes created because the original recipe concept completely failed. When a recipe fails, I usually scramble to try and make it right. Or…I simply scratch it all together and do something different, but maybe similar-ish.
Enter this cheesy, crispy prosciutto-wrapped chicken. When I began the day, I started out with a completely different chicken dinner in mind. But by the end of the day, I was photographing this one-skillet meal and SO EXCITED about it.
And you know something else? I’ve come to realize that my creativity really shines when under pressure. It’s not necessarily ideal (because oh my gosh it’s stressful), but I guess it works? Kind of? I’m not sure. The point is I love when I’m able to turn recipe failures into something even better than I’d originally envisioned. This chicken is all the sweet and savory flavors of fall, combined into a 30-minute chicken dinner. And every bite is mouth-watering.
To make this prosciutto and apple butter chicken…
It all starts with an oven-safe skillet or roasting pan. I highly recommend my go-to Staub 12-inch cast-iron skillet. It’s the perfect pan for this recipe…and it’s extra pretty too.
Just be sure to use a pan that can go from the oven to the stove. You’ll roast the chicken in the oven, but then finish the pan sauce on the stove. This is why cast iron is ideal, but any roasting pan or stainless steel pan will also work.
Now, the chicken. It’s sweet, savory, cheesy, salty, and so freaking good. Here is why. Each chicken breast is spread with apple butter, topped with blue cheese, and wrapped in prosciutto. I know this may sound like an odd combo, but please, trust me here, it works. If you don’t love blue cheese, not a problem, use creamy gouda or sharp cheddar cheese. All will be equally delicious.
Next, roast the chicken with shallots, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and sweet Honeycrisp apples. As the chicken cooks the cheese melts, the prosciutto crisps, and the apples slowly caramelized and take on delicious flavor.
Next, that cider pan sauce
Once the prosciutto is crisp, remove the chicken from the oven and transfer with the apples onto a plate. Why? Because you need to make the pan sauce. Oh, the pan sauce. It’s beyond incredible.
Browned butter. Fried Sage. White Wine. Fresh apple cider.
I mean, MOUTHWATERINGLY GOOD…yes, shouting is necessary.
The sauce cooks down with the roasted garlic and shallots and turns into a flavorful, butter and herb-infused sauce with hints of wine and sweet autumn cider. It’s perfect drizzled over the prosciutto chicken and roasted apples.
To serve, I love making a quick wild rice pilaf, it’s light but hearty. The pilaf soaks up the delicious flavors of the sauce and I always find it pairs particularly well with apples.
Add crusty bread and a simple autumn salad. Best any night of the week dinner that would easily be perfect for a fancy dinner party with friends.
If you make this prosciutto apple and sage butter chicken with cider pan sauce be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Watch The How To Video:
Prosciutto Apple and Sage Butter Chicken with Cider Pan Sauce
Oven-roasted, cheesy prosciutto-wrapped chicken with Honeycrisp apples, roasted garlic, a little crispy sage, and browned butter. All served in a delicious white wine and cider pan sauce.
- 4 chicken cutlets, or 2 boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 teaspoons apple butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or 4 thin slices of gouda cheese
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 small shallots, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1-2 Honeycrisp apples, cut into 10-12 wedges
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 cup apple cider
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease an oven-safe skillet with olive oil.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Spread each cutlet with 1 tsp apple butter, then top with cheese. Wrap 2 pieces of prosciutto around each cutlet. Transfer the chicken to the prepared skillet. Arrange the shallots, garlic, and apples around the chicken. Add the rosemary and thyme. Drizzle olive oil over the apples, season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.
3. Switch the oven to broil Remove the apples from the skillet to a plate. Return the chicken to the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes, until the prosciutto is crisp. WATCH CLOSELY. Remove from the oven place the chicken on the plate with the apples.
4. Place the skillet with the shallots and garlic over medium heat. Add the butter and sage. Cook 1-2 minutes, until the butter is browned and the sage crisp. Remove the sage from the skillet and add to the plate with the chicken.
5. To the skillet, add the wine and cider. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 5 minutes, until reduced by half. Slide the chicken and apples back into the skillet, simmer 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
6. Serve the chicken topped with apples. Drizzle over any pan sauce. Top with fried sage. Serve along side rice pilaf. Enjoy!
Our Favorite Recipes
Caramelized Onion, Spinach, and Cheddar Flaky Pastries.