Parmesan Tahini Kale Salad with Breadcrumbs and Crunchy Chickpeas – not your average salad. Super green curly kale tossed generously with the creamiest tahini parmesan dressing then topped with a generous helping of garlicky breadcrumbs and extra crunchy, spicy chickpeas. It’s a simple salad, but one that will leave you craving it regularly. The secret lies in the dressing (it’s so special). And those crunchy chickpeas really seal the deal. Together they’ll make you say, yummmmy.
I was almost going to go through all of January without sharing a single salad. This is something crazy unusual for me. Most Januarys I load up on the salad recipes in an effort to share lighter recipes. This year has been a little different. I shared cozier, yet still very wholesome, healthy recipes. Lots of curries, big vegetable-filled bowls, and healthy banana bread too.
But today I have a salad – finally! And it might just be my favorite salad I’ve created. It’s inspired by a Caesar salad, but oh so much better.
I just love this recipe, and I know it’s going to be on repeat all year long. It’s the perfect salad to serve alongside your favorite family dinners or even to enjoy as dinner itself.
The idea came from a random video of tahini being poured over cauliflower. The tahini overtop of the roasted cauliflower looked incredible. Like so incredible.
You would think this would have inspired a cauliflower recipe. But for whatever random reason that’s not where my head went.
Instead, I went to kale salad, the most basic kale salad, but with so much tahini dressing, garlicky crumbs, and spicy, CRUNCHY chickpeas.
Three important elements. All simple. All so delicious.
Chickpeas first. Toss them on a sheet pan with olive oil, chili powder, and paprika. I’ll sometimes add a pinch of onion and garlic powder too, then salt.
Bake these up until they’re crisp, then add Parmesan and bake until they’re very crunchy. This is key. The parmesan should become crunchy too.
During the same time, bake the Panko crumbs with olive oil, garlic, and pine nuts. Baking the crumbs instead of toasting them on the stove is so much simpler and mess-free. It’s also healthier since you’ll use less oil/butter.
While everything is baking, mix the dressing. Sometimes I use the food processor, sometimes just a jar, but either way, everything gets mixed until creamy.
Olive oil, tahini, lemon, dijon, Worcestershire, garlic salt, peppers, and parmesan. This dressing is very heavy on the tahini, which is the idea. It’s so addicting with the parmesan mixed in.
Toss the kale very well with the dressing. Then add more parmesan cheese, the warm breadcrumbs, and then the warm chickpeas.
Add everything in while still warm is kind of the secret. The warmth from the crumbs and beans melts the cheese and creates the butteriest, creamiest salad. It’s hard to explain, you just have to try it!
I debated calling this a Caesar because the dressing feels so similar, but honestly, this is better than any Caesar salad. Healthier too, so we can all appreciate that.
ENJOY, this really is a favorite!
Looking for other colorful salads? Here are some options:
Lastly, if you make this Parmesan Tahini Kale Salad with Breadcrumbs and Crunchy Chickpeas, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Parmesan Tahini Kale Salad with Breadcrumbs and Crunchy Chickpeas
Calories Per Serving: 609 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 can (14 ounce) chickpeas, drained, plus patted dry
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup pinenuts (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup + 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 heads curly kale, shredded
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat oven to 425° F.2. On a baking sheet, toss the chickpeas, 2 tablespoons olive oil, chili powder, paprika, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat. Bake for 15 minutes. Add 1/4 cup parmesan, toss and bake 5-10 minutes, until extra crisp.3. During the same time, on a baking sheet, toss the breadcrumbs, pine nuts, and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake 10 minutes, until toasted.3. Meanwhile, add the kale and 1/2 cup parmesan to a large salad bowl. 4. To make the dressing. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water to thin the dressing. Taste and adjust the salt. 5. Pour the dressing over the kale, add 1/2 cup parmesan and toss well, massaging the dressing into the kale. Top the salad with avocado, then add a handful of parmesan. Top with breadcrumbs and chickpeas. Serve and enjoy!