The Simplest Ombrè Citrus Cream Tart.
Fully embracing all the winter citrus with this Ombrè Citrus Cream Tart. Buttery flaky puff pastry, layered with whipped greek yogurt, topped with ombrè colored winter citrus, and drizzled with sweet honey for that extra special touch. Not only is this tart bursting with vibrant colors, but it’s beyond delicious, so easy, and extra pretty. Bonus? It’s made just a touch healthier with whipped greek yogurt and a light drizzle of honey for sweetness. Absolutely nothing not to love.
Here’s the thing I’m learning, when inspiration strikes, run with it, and don’t doubt it for a second. I’m one of the biggest over thinkers you’ll ever meet. Almost every decision I make takes forever. I sit and think about it, over analyzing everything, and generally make myself insane in the process. It’s both one of my best and my worst qualities, but lately it’s been dragging me down.
The over thinking can be physically and mentally exhausting. I’m sure there are some of you who can probably relate. And for those of you who can’t…who run with your gut and don’t think twice. Please leave all your best tips and words of wisdom down below. I would love hear them!
Anyway, my point is, sometimes when the over thinking is just too much for my brain to handle, I will finally run with my gut, or whatever’s truly inspiring me at that moment. Enter this tart. It may not be the most popular recipe I’ll ever share on the blog. And I know it might not be the healthiest, “Healthy January” recipe. But I’m head over heels in love with it. And so happy I decided to go with it, and share it with you all.
It may even be my favorite recipe thus far of the new year!
Here’s the story. I had a bowl full of blood oranges over the weekend. Daylight was slowly fading behind the very snowy mountain tops. I was absolutely loving the light and the way it was hitting the colorful blood oranges. So I pulled out some puff pastry, the yogurt, and crème fraîche I had in the fridge. I grabbed a of couple lemons, and had this ready for photographing in less than 45 minutes.
It’s the simplest winter tart. It reminds me of my favorite blueberry galette I made over the summer. This is that galette, but in winter form, and with the addition of lightly whipped yogurt, and so much citrus. It’s gorgeous, but most importantly, it’s so fresh and so delicious.
The first step is baking the pastry. I brushed it with an egg to get a glossy finish. Then I sprinkled the edges with just a touch of coarse sugar. I did this more for looks than anything else. But it does add a nice sweetness to the dough, along with an extra added crunch. If you’re looking to not add any sugar, you can easily omit it. No big deal.
While the pastry is baking, I whipped a little crème fraîche and plain greek yogurt with Meyer lemon juice. I then added a splash of vanilla. The whipped yogurt is KEY, without it the tart is just a whole lot of fresh citrus. The yogurt adds that creamy, richness that really makes the tart balanced and so delicious.
Layer the yogurt with slices blood oranges and a drizzle of honey.
And that’s it. Super simple. SO PRETTY. And beyond good.
For the oranges, I think I just lucked out with the prettiest assortment of blood oranges. Each had its own unique color and was different and truly the prettiest I’d ever seen. You can use an assortment of your favorite oranges, or just go with one variety. Either way, you really can’t go wrong.
Oh, and as for serving, this makes a great dessert item, but I kind of love it more for a breakfast/brunch. It just feels a little lighter than your average dessert, you know?
Again, either way, you can’t go wrong. So bake it and enjoy! Tuesday needs something sweet and colorful to brighten up these winter days.
If you make this ombrè citrus cream tart, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
The Simplest Ombrè Citrus Cream Tart.
Buttery flaky puff pastry, layered with whipped greek yogurt, topped with ombrè colored winter citrus, and drizzled with sweet honey for that extra special touch. Made just a touch healthier with whipped greek yogurt and a light drizzle of honey for sweetness!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pasty, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- raw coarse sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- 6 ounces creme fraiche, mascarpone, or cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice + 1-2 teaspoons zest, to your taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons honey, plus more for serving
- 6-8 mixed color oranges, thinly sliced (I used all blood oranges)
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- fresh thyme, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Place the pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, score a 1 inch border around the edge. Brush the pastry with egg, sprinkle the sugar around the edges. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. It's OK if the edges get dark. Let cool, before assembling.
3. Meanwhile, make the whipped yogurt. Using an electric mixer, whip the creme fraiche (or cream cheese), yogurt, and lemon juice together until smooth and soft peaks form. Add the vanilla, honey, and lemon zest. Whip to combined.
4. Spread the whipped cream over the tart. Arrange the orange slices over the cream, and scatter over the raspberries. Serve with additional honey and thyme, if desired.
Our Favorite Recipes
Sheet Pan Cuban Chicken With Citrus Avocado Salsa.