Mom’s Secret Christmas Eve Chex Mix.
And it is Christmas Eve!!
Personally, I am just a tad sad.
My very favorite time of year if almost over and it seems like Thanksgiving was just yesterday. I think the month of December needs to be like a whole sixty days and not just thirty-one. Really, the Christmas holiday deserves a whole two months of celebration in my opinion.
So this is the last of my mom’s recipes.
She only has a handful of recipes, and I’ve already shared three. Maybe next year I will share possibly one of my very favorite things she makes. We only have it once a year and it is amazing. And yes, it is totally all about chocolate and a little booze too. What? Yep, booze in Christmas desserts are a must.
Right now though we are talkin’ Mom’s Secret Christmas Eve Chex Mix. In our family, this too, is only made on Christmas Eve. You walk in the house, take a deep breath and you know right away it’s Christmas Eve at the Gerard’s. It’s one of the best smells ever.
I have to say, it was really weird making this before Christmas. It felt totally wrong and I will probably never do it again. Chex mix is a Christmas Eve only thing around here, and you better bet I will be making another double batch today.
Just gotta have that smell and something to munch on all night.
So, Mom’s recipe is really not a secret, it is just smart.
Basically, she added more of the good stuff. You know, the stuff everybody always picks for. The pretzels, bagel chips and nuts. And then the most important thing she upped? The butter and seasonings. Yup, she is pretty smart.
Gotta have lots of butter on Christmas. Well, really just lots of everything good on Christmas!
Also, Mom has always baked her chex mix in the oven.
Seriously, do not try to make this in the microwave. Eww, that is just not good. Go for the oven.
Nothing is better than chex mix baking in the oven, the Christmas music + movies going and people just about everywhere! Mom and I in the kitchen, the brothers hanging around eating, the brother’s friend joining them and the cousins telling stories and just plain making thing so much better!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Mom’s Secret Christmas Eve Chex Mix.
- 3 cups corn chex
- 3 cups rice chex
- 2 cups whole wheat chex
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 2 cups bite-size pretzels
- 2 cups garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular bagel chips
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) salted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. In large bowl, mix the chex cereals, mixed nuts, pretzels and bagel chips. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a bowl and mix in the worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and a good pinch of pepper. Pour the butter over the cereal mixture, tossing well for 3-5 minutes or until the cereal mixture is evenly coated.
4. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes (or just start eating!!). Store in airtight container.
Merry Christmas Eve!! It is my favorite night of the year!! 🙂
Oh, and I almost forgot to announce the winner of the KitchenAid Mixer Giveaway. First, can I just say I was BLOWN AWAY by the incredible comments you guys left. WOW! Pretty much every comment was not about a gift for you, it was about making your family happy, healthy and together for the holidays. I read every single comment and really, you guys that is what Christmas is about. Family, happiness and being together. I am simply in awe of all of you! Ok and the winner is Kortnie Madison-King! Congrats!! Shoot me an email as soon as possible (like by Thursday night)!