Look! I made us a super awesome (summertime) Monday meal!
Full of summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, kalamata olives and grilled chicken. SO healthy, right?!?!?
Okok, there is also some fried cheese…oops. But really, life is all about balance, meaning cheese with greens. Yes please and thank you! 🙂
SO, hey, hi! How’s it going? How was your weekend. I am feeling oddly very energetic. Sorry for completely bailing on Snapchat this weekend, I got way too consumed in my weekend craft project and was basically up to my ears in herbs, natural clothing dies, flowers, honey and too much food. It was a BIG weekend, but a good one. Dad helped me with some projects that you guys will soon find out about. On Saturday I did a ton of cooking.
We had amazing weather all weekend, so that was kind of awesome. I finally got to hang with little Asher for a bit on Saturday… eer, ok when I say hang, what I really mean is, I put her to work and we shot some pics for both the blog and the book. To be seen soon!
Oh, and I also ate way too many cherries, cause um, they are SO good!
Sooo, what did you guys do??
All right, so here’s the deal. I’m all about summer produce right now. Actually, when I sat down to roughly plan out my recipes for the month the other week, I wrote down all the produce that I knew I wanted to use. Then I based my recipes off that. It was actually a really great way to be creative with my recipes. Plus, I am so pumped because I am using all of summer’s best produce. Or well, at least MY favorite summer produce!
I’m talking, stone fruits, berries, summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, fresh herbs, bell peppers, sweet corn, well pretty much every summer fruit and veggie out there.
Clearly I am kind of excited!
Soo, that brings me to this recipe! It’s pretty, right? And you guys?!?! I actually used all summer squash and all zucchini noodles, like I didn’t add any real pasta. What?!?! I know, but I was just feeling the super light and fresh vibes for this dish so I went with it.
FINE. There was maybe some un-photographed toast too… can’t help it, got to have some carbs!
Anyway, I am in love with this meal. It screams summer!
So real quick, let’s run through this Mediterranean Chicken and Summer Squash Noodles with Fried Halloumi…
…first up, we have the Mediterranean chicken, which I will not lie is possibly one of my favorite marinades ever. It’s so simple and so toasty. I put my chicken on skewers because I love that look, but feel free to simply leave the chicken breasts whole, grill them up, and cut into bite size pieces. Either way is great!
…next comes the green basil sauce. Oh my gosh, this sauce, it’s everything! Fresh basil, fresh oregano, chives, roasted cashews and olive oil – SOOO GOOD. You can use this sauce on everything. Think pasta, salads, grilled bread, fish, the options are really endless here.
…on to the noodles! I used a mix of summer squash + zucchini and then added some fresh cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives. YUM!
…last, but not least (obviously) the fried Halloumi. This is my favorite part, it’s life changing. <–DO NOT skimp on the fried cheese. K? Cool!
Best part, this truly is such a healthy meal. And aside from the chicken and cheese, this is a full on veggie meal! If you wanted to make this a vegetarian dinner, try using using the chicken marinade on chickpeas and roasting them in the oven. That. would. be. SO. GOOD.
But again, don’t skimp the cheese. ?
So what do you guys say? Dinner? Tonight?
Mediterranean Chicken and Summer Squash Noodles with Fried Halloumi.
Servings: 6 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 673 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Green Basil Sauce
View Recipe Comments
- In a large gallon size zip-top bag, combine the ingredients for the chicken and toss to combine. Seal and chill at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the green basil sauce in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Stream in water to thin the sauce, I used around 1/3 cup water. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Set your grill, grill pan or skillet to medium-high heat. If desired, thread the chicken onto skewers.
- Grill the chicken until lightly charred and cooked through, turning occasionally throughout cooking, about 10 to 12 minutes total. Let rest 5 minutes and then slice against the grain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the Halloumi slices and cook for 1-2 minutes per side or until lightly golden. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the skillet and give them a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt + pepper and cook until the noodles are just warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and toss the noodles with half of the green basil sauce, the tomatoes, olives and a handful of fresh basil.
- Divide the noodles among plates. Top with chicken and a handful of microgreens. Serve with the remaining basil sauce. EAT!
Thinking that this would be a very “smart” Monday choice. Again, do you see all those veggies? Going for it!