Grilled Chiles Rellenos with Chipotle Peach Mojo Shrimp.
You guys, if you were watching in on my house right now you would be laughing your butts off. Oh the things that are happening over here.
Most of the them are not really appropriate to share, but I think you need at least a little family drama info.
For starters, there are too many Gerards in one house, and things have been a little odd since my Mimi got here on Tuesday.
She has had a bit of a hard time adjusting to the whole 9,000+ feet above sea level thing, so there is that little issue. But aside from all that she has made it her duty to watch me work all day (Mimi doesn’t get around very well). Mind you, there are nine other people she could watch, but I am the only one who happens to be in the kitchen/family room. So me it is.
Here’s the thing, I totally clam up when people are around while I cook and especially while I photograph. It’s the worst. I can’t really think straight and I rush through things. It never ends the way I want it to and I typically end up having to re-make/re-shoot whatever I was making. Major bummer, but there is not really anything I can do about it. I can’t be all, “don’t watch me because you are making me nervous”. I mean it is the kitchen/family room, and she is my grandma, and she is only here until Sunday… so I just have to suck it up.
Ok , so there is that, but she also doesn’t just sit there. Nope, she was criticizing me – all. day. long.
Now you guys, I am not complaining about Mimi being here. I want her here, I am happy she is here. Really I am. I am just trying to give you a little glimpse of what is going on over here.
Anyway, I cannot tell you how many times I heard “Tieghan you need to get off that table” and “Tieghan you are spending too much time on that”. Doesn’t Mimi know that I need to get in some good overhead shots? And that in order to do that I have to make myself taller in some way, therefore, I have to stand on the table and I mean, yeah I am slow, but I can’t help that.
She also tried to tell me how I should be taking photos, how I should be cleaning up and that she couldn’t stand my mess. And to that I said, “Well Mimi, all I can say is that I promise when that sun goes behind that mountain over there (I pointed to the left) I will clean this up and it will be as clean as ever”.
Normally, I am the one barking out orders, but this is just a whole new thing for me.
And now I know where I get it from.
Alright, so that is the family drama for the day.
Next up, this meal. It’s fresh, healthy and heavy on the flavor. I love the sweet mojo sauce with the shrimp. And then obviously the cheesy grilled peppers are to die for. Spicy peppers stuffed to the brim with cheese? HECK YES!
Oh, and there is corn salad too. Because every summer meal needs a little corn and tomatoes.
Grilled Chiles Rellenos with Chipotle Mango-Peach Mojo Shrimp.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keyword: chipotle, mango, Rellenos, shrimp
It's fresh, healthy and heavy on the flavor. I love the sweet mojo sauce with the shrimp. And then obviously the cheesy grilled peppers are to die for. Spicy peppers stuffed to the brim with cheese? HECK YES!
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup mango juice
- 1/4 cup coconut rum optional
- 1-2 chipotle chile peppers adobo I used 2
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds raw shrimp peeled + devained
Peppers + Salad
- 6 poblano peppers
- 4 ears corn husked
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1 peach chopped
- 1/2 cup mango chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded + chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 8 ounces Mexican melting cheese or more
- 4 ounces cotija cheese plus more for serving
- To make the shrimp, combine in a blender 1 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup mango juice, 1/4 cup coconut rum, chipotle chiles, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Add the shrimp to a gallon size ziplock bag and pour the marinade over the shrimp. Seal the bag and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile start the peppers and salad. Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Rub the poblano peppers and corn with a little olive oil. Place them on the grill. Grill the peppers and corn, covered, over medium heat about 10 minutes or until peppers are charred all over and the corn is lightly browned, turning the corn and peppers once or twice during cooking. Remove the peppers and corn from the grill and allow to cool.
- Once the corn is cool, cut the kernels away from the cob and add to a large bowl. To the bowl add the tomatoes, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 clove garlic, peach and mango. Season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a medium skillet and set over medium heat. Add the the onion and jalapeño. Saute until soft and almost caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat. To the skillet add the Mexican melting cheese, cotija cheese and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Mix well to combine the cheese with the onions.
- Cut stems from the cooled poblano peppers. Cut a slit down one side of each pepper. Open each pepper and use a knife to scrape seeds out. Stuff each pepper with equal amounts of the cheese mixture and place the peppers on a plate.
- Now grab the shrimp and thread them onto skewers. Place stuffed poblanos and the shrimp skewers on the grill rack. Cover and grill for 5 minutes, turning and brushing shrimp skewers with the reserved marinade during grilling. Do not turn poblanos. To serve, place the corn salad on plates. Top each plate with a cheesy pepper and then a couple skewers of shrimp. Sprinkle with cilantro and cotija. Eat up!
*Everything can be prepped in advance up to step five. Then just warm the salad, grill the shrimp + peppers and eat! *Inspired + slightly adapted from [Better Homes and Garden | http://www.bhg.com/recipe/grilled-chiles-rellenos-with-mango-mojo-shrimp-and-corn-and-tomato-salad/].
Wish me luck today. I have got too many things to make and I am fearing Mimi is going to have some major issues with that!