The BEST Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. You’ll want to be baking up this easy treat all summer long. One bowl, simple ingredients, super quick to mix up, not too sweet, and a great way to use summer zucchini – plus SO DELICIOUS! With just a couple of zucchini, some good maple syrup or honey, and chocolate chips, this is sure to become a favorite with everyone.
Do you know something? I really do LOVE sharing recipes with you all. I get to be excited about sharing a quick dinner or a sweet dessert with you all every day. But some recipes have a really special feel to them, and today is one of those recipes. It’s such a fun feeling! Reminds me why I do this every day.
This zucchini bread has me so excited, it’s such a GOOD recipe and one that we can all really enjoy. I love that it’s low sugar, whole wheat, and made with zucchini. I will not call this healthy, but it sure is a great way to enjoy a sweet summertime treat!
And aside from all of that, it’s so delicious and so easy.
A win, win kind of recipe! And I can’t wait for you all to make it!
I’ve made a few loaves of zucchini bread and zucchini muffins in previous years, but this is my first double chocolate! And wow, it’s so yummy!
What is double chocolate? It just means that instead of a blond loaf of zucchini bread, I made the loaf using cocoa powder and chocolate chips. The more chocolate, the better!
Step 1: grate the zucchini
Here’s the thing, when baking with zucchini it’s really important to remove any of the excess moisture (the water). You’ll want to do this so your baked goods don’t end up super dense and watered down. Simply shred the zucchini and place it in a kitchen towel to squeeze out all the excess water. It’s really easy. The drier you can get the zucchini, the lighter your loaf is going to be.
Step 2: make the batter
You just need one bowl. Mix the eggs with melted coconut oil, maple syrup (or honey), vanilla, and then the shredded zucchini.
Now add whole wheat pastry flour (or white whole wheat flour), cocoa powder, baking soda, instant espresso powder, a touch of cinnamon, and some salt. The espresso really helps highlight the rich chocolate flavors, don’t let it scare you!
Step 4: the chocolate chips
Mix in the chocolate chips or use chocolate chunks! I actually did half and half and loved the way my bread came out.
Step 5: bake
Scoop the batter into a loaf pan, then bake in the oven until it’s just set. This will take around 50 minutes, so you need a little patience for this final step.
Your reward will be delicious warm chocolate, chocolate zucchini bread! Once the bread is out of the oven, you can let it cool or you can enjoy it warm. You all know I’m all about a warm loaf of bread. So after letting this cool in the pan for five or so minutes, I turned it out onto a cutting board and made the first slice.
The bread comes out steaming and smells so good. The sweet hints of vanilla and cinnamon together with the puddles of chocolate are so delicious! It’s soft and moist and just so YUM!
Looking for sweet zucchini recipes? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make my Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Servings: 1 loaf (8-10 slices)
Calories Per Serving: 303 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 medium zucchini, grated (about 2 cups grated before squeezing out water)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a 9x5 inch bread pan.2. Lay a clean towel on the counter and spread the zucchini out in an even layer, then squeeze out a little excess water, but don't get it fully dry. 3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the coconut oil, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Mix in the squeezed-out zucchini. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, instant espresso, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks. 4. Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the center is just set. If the bread is browning before it's done cooking, cover with foil. Remove the bread and let cool before cutting. Or slice and eat it warm with the chocolate all melty. YUM!
View Recipe Comments
To Make Gluten Free: Use an equal amount of your favorite gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour. I recommend Cup4Cup gluten-free flour. Storing: This bread keeps well for 2-3 days at room temperature. Freezing: Cool the bread, wrap well with plastic wrap, then store in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw for a few hours on the counter.