Take out style Crispy Sesame Ginger Egg Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce – made at home. Easy homemade egg rolls with chicken and vegetable fillings, served alongside a sweet and spicy chili pomegranate sauce. A fun and healthy dinner to make any night of the week, or to serve up as appetizers at your next holiday party!
I was feeling like we all could use a switch up in flavors today and these egg rolls sounded perfect! It’s true what they say, homemade is always better. And that’s definitely the case with these egg rolls.
I don’t know what it is about this time of year, but for whatever reason the cold weather always inspires me to make our favorite restaurant meals at home. We love ordering egg rolls out, but honestly, making them at home is simple and fun!
With family slowly starting to pile in for Christmas soon, I really try to have recipes like this in the line-up. Pastas and tacos are awesome, of course, but everyone has fun with an Asian inspired dinner. We love the flavors!
I’ll usually make a bunch of egg rolls, some chicken and some vegetable, then serve them up with a side of rice. If there’s a lot of people here, I’ll make some ginger chicken too.
Everything about these egg rolls are so delicious. Both the chicken and the veggie rolls are easy and fun to make. And the sweet chili sauce just makes everyone want to go back for more.
Start off by cooking the chicken with garlic and ginger, then add plenty of vegetables, and splash of soy sauce. It’s a simple mix, but really delicious. Especially when you allow the soy sauce to caramelize around the meat.
For the vegetables in these rolls, I like to use a mix of shredded cabbage, carrots, and bell peppers. For the vegetable-only egg rolls, I like to add broccoli into the mix as well.
You can really use any vegetables you love, just make sure they’re either shredded or finely chopped.
Next, the wrappers. You need the larger size square egg roll wrappers, which can be found in most grocery stores these days.
Spoon the filling onto the wrapper and simply roll them up. Easy.
Instead of frying, which is traditional, I much prefer to oven bake. It’s healthier, easier, and to be honest, I like the flavor so much better. You actually taste the food, not the fried oil.
Here’s the key, you must rub each roll with olive oil before baking. This is the trick to getting the rolls crispy all around. Once the rolls are oiled, oven bake. Twenty or so minutes later you’ll have crispy, non-fried egg rolls.
While the rolls bake, make the sauce
It’s sweet Thai chili sauce, pomegranate juice, and soy sauce. So simple, but delicious. If you don’t love pomegranate juice, try using orange juice instead.
I use this sweet chili sauce whenever I want to add a sweet and spicy flavor to a dish…Asian or not. It’s beyond good and perfect to use as a dipping sauce. I also love to add a few pomegranate arils for an extra burst of flavor and added texture. This sauce is completely optional, but there’s only 4 ingredients and it’s so good. I highly recommend making it. Perfect when paired with these gingery egg rolls.
These are sweet, spicy, a little crunchy, and all things delicious…and kind of addicting. There’s really nothing not to love. Plus, these really are so fun to serve, both as an appetizer or for dinner!
Looking for other Asian recipes? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make these Crispy Sesame Ginger Egg Rolls be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Crispy Sesame Ginger Egg Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce
Calories Per Serving: 379 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, plus more for cooking
- 1 pound ground chicken (see note for vegetable variation)
- black pepper
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups mixed chopped vegetables
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 20-22 square egg roll wrappers
- green onions, for serving
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. 2. In a large skillet, add the oil and chicken. Season with pepper. Cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Add the shallot, ginger, and garlic. Cook 2 minutes, then stir in the vegetables and cook 5 minutes, until wilted. Add the soy sauce and let the sauce caramelize around the meat. Stir in the sesame seeds, then remove from the heat. note: if making vegetarian, just omit the chicken and start the cooking process with the oil and shallot. Cook the vegetables down until caramelized. 3. To assemble, spoon 2 tablespoons of filling onto each wrapper. Brush water around the edges of the wrapper, then roll up and place on a baking sheet. Brush each roll lightly with olive oil. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then flip and cook another 8-10 minutes more, or until the rolls are crisp.4. Meanwhile, make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. 5. Serve the rolls warm, topped with green onions, and the sauce on the side for dipping.
View Recipe Comments
To Make Vegetarian: omit the chicken and use 4 cups of mixed chopped vegetables. I love shredded cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, and broccoli.