Weeknight style 30 Minute Crispy Cheese Chicken Tinga Tacos with Pineapple Salsa. Chicken, seasoned up with smoky chipotle peppers and enchilada sauce, then stuffed into crispy fried cheese tortillas. Each tinga taco is slightly crunchy on the outside, but spicy and cheesy inside. Serve with a charred corn and pineapple salsa, creamy crema, and a mix of your favorite toppings. These come together easily and are so delicious. The perfect twist on a classic taco that everyone will love!
When in Mexico, eat all the tacos you can! I mean, right? I figured since I’m in Mexico the next couple of days why not share one of my favorite tacos with you guys. And truly, these really are one of my favorites.
Jumping right into the details today!
So here’s how you make these quick tinga tacos
What I love so much about these tacos is just how quick and easy they are to make. Thirty minutes is really all that’s need. Alright, so the chicken. The key to a good tinga taco is canned chipotle peppers. They’re the key to the tinga sauce.
Cook the the chicken up in a skillet, add the peppers, then a bit of enchilada sauce. The enchilada sauce isn’t traditional, but I love the additional flavor and sauciness it adds. Simmer the chicken in the sauce, then once it is cooked, shred the meat.
I love to use chicken tenders, which cook up much faster than chicken breasts. If you want more flavor, try using chicken thighs.
Now the pineapple salsa
While the chicken cooks, make the pineapple salsa.
The salsa is also one of my favorites. Charred corn and fresh pineapple tossed together with serrano peppers and cilantro. It’s fresh and so delicious.
If you have extra time, char the serrano peppers over an open flame. It adds so much extra flavor.
The crispy fried cheese tortillas
When the chicken is cooked, heat a big skillet over medium heat. Add a few tortillas and a handful of cheese. Let the cheese melt, now flip the cheese and let it cook until the cheese is crisping on the edges. I know this sounds odd, but essentially you’re frying the cheese. Trust me it’s so delicious.
Flip the tortilla back over, add a second tortilla and then assemble the taco.
Layer up a little smashed avocado, salsa, and chicken, then drizzle over a little crema. Looks fancy and like these tacos took hours to prepare, but in reality, they take thirty minutes – tops.
Got to love that, and what’s even better? They taste pretty darn amazing too. Perfect weeknight tacos to keep dinner fresh and exciting!
Looking for other taco recipes? Here are some favorites:
Lastly, if you make this 30 Minute Crispy Cheese Chicken Tinga Tacos, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
30 Minute Crispy Cheese Chicken Tinga Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
Calories Per Serving: 511 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped, use to your taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup red enchilada sauce homemade or store-bought
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 shredded mexican cheese
- shredded lettuce, smashed avocado, crema, or sour cream
- 2 ears grilled corn, kernels removed
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- 1-2 serrano peppers, seeded, if desired, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browning, about 5 minutes. Add the chipotle peppers, enchilada sauce, oregano, salt, and 1/3 cup water. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and shred the chicken. 3. Meanwhile, make the salsa. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt. 4. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add 2-3 tortillas and a handful of cheese, cover the pan and let cook 30 seconds, until the cheese is melty. Flip and cook another minute, until you see the cheese crisping, then flip and add another tortilla on top. Remove from the heat. 5. Stuff the tortilla with avocado, salsa, and chicken. Top with crema and additional salsa. Enjoy!