Weeknight style Crispy Chipotle Sweet Potato Tacos with Lime Crema. Sweet potatoes seasoned with a smoky chipotle chili spice mix. Then stuffed into hard shell tacos, topped with cheese, and oven-baked. These tacos are crunchy on the outside, but spicy and cheesy inside. Serve each taco with a creamy, cooling lime crema sauce, spicy cilantro, and avocado. These come together easily and are so delicious…the perfect weeknight dinner that’s vegetarian and naturally gluten-free too.
In my family, tacos have to be one of the most requested dinners. We’ve loved them since we were kids and my dad would make them at least once or twice a week. Even back then, when they were just beef tacos, we somehow never got sick of them.
Tacos are just always delicious, especially my dad’s.
He’d bake the meat in hard taco shells with cheese on top. They’d come out extra crispy with gooey melted cheese. Simple, and yet totally delicious.
Now I’m the one who is making tacos all the time. And with the crispy, cheesy shells, they’re everyone’s favorite. But I love to switch up the fillings. I’ve made sooo many tacos over the years. Way, way back when I will still living at home, I made a sweet potato taco that we all loved.
I stole that idea and recreated it with these. And wow, they’re even better than I remember!
The details – make the sweet potatoes
So, this really is so simple, easy, and hands-off.
Pick up some sweet potatoes, toss them with my favorite homemade taco seasoning mix, and then roast them until they’re perfectly tender in the middle, but charring on the edges. When you pull the pan out of the oven, toss the potatoes with some black beans.
Doesn’t get any easier, but yet this is a dinner that everyone loves.
I do have a few little secrets though that make these tacos better than the rest…my seasoning mix and those crispy shells.
The crispy shells
I make mine at home, but the shells aren’t technically a part of the recipe. However, I’m including it in the notes for anyone who has extra time and wants to make homemade shells. I will say, homemade is so much better.
If you choose not to use store-bought hard taco shells and go the semi-homemade route, here is how. I like to take corn tortillas, stuff them with the sweet potatoes and cheese, then oven bake them until the tortillas are crispy. I rub each tortilla with olive oil, then flip them halfway through cooking. This is the key to getting the tacos extra crispy on both sides.
For serving, I mixed up a simple creamy lime crema, mashed avocado, and spicy cilantro.
The lime crema is the perfect sauce to dollop onto each spicy, cheesy, crunchy taco. Simple, healthy, and honestly so delicious. Everyone loves these.
Looking for more simple Mexican recipes? Here are a few favorites:
Lastly, if you make these, Crispy Chipotle Sweet Potato Tacos with Lime Crema, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Crispy Chipotle Sweet Potato Tacos with Lime Crema
Calories Per Serving: 573 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 teaspoons chipotle or regular chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, use to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 8 grain-free hard shell tacos (if preferred) (see notes for homemade option)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, if desired, and chopped
- mashed avocado, for serving
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.2. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt. Add the poblano and toss to combine. Arrange in an even layer. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and beginning to char on the edges. Remove from the oven and stir in the black beans.3. Meanwhile, make the crema. Combine all ingredients in a glass jar and shake or stir until creamy. 4. Line the taco shells up on a sheet pan or in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Transfer to the oven and bake 5 minutes. Evenly divide the sweet potatoes among each taco shell and top with cheese. Bake 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.5. Mix the cilantro and jalapeño in a small bowl. Serve the tacos topped with crema, avocado, and the spicy cilantro. Enjoy!
View Recipe Comments
For Easy Homemade Hard Shells: Warm 8-12 corn tortillas for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave, until pliable. On a baking sheet, rub the tortillas with olive oil. Lay each tortilla flat and then layer evenly with cheese and potatoes. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling, gently pushing to adhere (see above photo). Transfer to the oven and bake for 5-8 minutes, then flip and cook another 5 minutes more, or until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are crisp.