Cheesy Tomato Basil Stuffed Chicken breasts, stuffed with basil pesto, mozzarella cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes. Then simmered in a fresh garlic cherry tomato sauce. Top this cheesy skillet chicken with herb-tossed cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. This dinner comes together easily, highlights in-season tomatoes, and is so delicious! It’s also quick, using just 1 skillet! Serve with crusty, toasted bread for mopping up that yummy cherry tomato sauce!
We are just over a week away from the first official day of summer! I can’t wait. Although it already feels like summer is here, doesn’t it? In my book, Memorial Day is the unofficial, but official start of summer days.
There’s so much I’m looking forward to this summer, but the thing that’s exciting me most is fresh new summer produce. I have so many new recipe ideas, I don’t know what to make and share first!
Summer tomatoes, zucchini, berries, stone fruit, sweet corn, it’s all coming this season. I foresee lots of yummies produce dishes ahead.
This skillet chicken is just the beginning!
Today’s recipe is one I’ve been making over and over for the last few summers. It’s essentially caprese chicken made with both sun-dried tomatoes and fresh cherry tomatoes.
It really is one of the simplest dinners to prepare! You will love it!
Step 1 – cut the chicken
This part sounds tricky, but what I love about this chicken is that nothing about the dish needs to be perfect.
Take a sharp knife and cut each chicken breast in half horizontally, stopping just before slicing it all the way through. This is called butterflying your chicken.
A lot of times my grocery store will carry already butterflied chicken breasts. I love to buy those and skip this step. It makes the dish come together even quicker!
Step 2 – stuff the chicken
Now take basil pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, and slices of mozzarella cheese. Layer them over the split chicken. Try not to overstuff the chicken breasts.
Close the chicken up like a book and then place it in an oven-safe skillet.
Step 3 – cook the chicken
Place the skillet over medium heat. Heat the chicken, then add half of the cherry tomatoes and transfer the entire skillet to the oven. Allow the chicken to cook until it’s fully cooked through and the cherry tomatoes burst, about 10 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, take the remaining cherry tomatoes and stoss them with fresh basil and thyme.
Step 4 – serve the chicken
When ready, serve the chicken and tomatoes topped with fresh cherry tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper.
I love adding a simple side of rice pilaf and crusty bread. The bread is so yummy when dipped right into that delicious cherry tomato pan sauce!
This will be great for serving to family on busy nights. I love how easily it comes together. Oh, and the leftovers reheat well and are delicious the following day for lunch or dinner.
Looks like I’ll be making this all summer long!
Looking for other simple dinners? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Cheesy Tomato Basil Stuffed Chicken, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Cheesy Tomato Basil Stuffed Chicken
Calories Per Serving: 251 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/3 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- chili flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.2. Slice the chicken through the middle horizontally, being careful not to cut all the way through the chicken. Open the chicken and spread with pesto. Add the cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Close the chicken, covering the filling. 3. Place the chicken in a large oven-safe skillet. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of reserved sun-dried tomato oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set the skillet over medium heat, cook 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat.4. Bake for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the tomatoes burst. 5. Toss 1/2 cup tomatoes with basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Serve the chicken topped with fresh tomatoes. Enjoy!