Charred Tomato and Corn Pesto Pasta.
Hey! Hi! So tacos on Tuesday… pasta on Wednesday!
I can totally handle that!!
Especially a pasta like this. One with basil, grilled corn, charred tomatoes and a big ball of burrata. Yes, I am definitely OK with that. It’s basically summertime on a plate! I know summer is still more than a month out, but I think it’s pretty clear that summer is the season I am craving. I am DONE with the snow, ready for warmth and ready for relatively lighter meals. Granted I don’t really get that much of the warmth where I live, but I’m pretty pumped about the food!
Here’s the deal, I am not trying to jump a season (well maybe just a bit), but my grocery store had the most gorgeous looking sweet yellow corn and heirloom cherry tomatoes. Obviously I couldn’t resist getting like ten ears and a bucket full of cherry tomatoes. I have this problem…when something looks amazing and too pretty for words, I have to like, buy them all up. It’s a fear not only of not having enough, but that the next time I go back to the store, all that pretty little produce will be gone.
And yes, clearly I am not the world’s best at sharing. Oooops.
OKok, so serious talk though.
One, this pasta, like tell me that it excites you as much as it’s exciting me, right? I know it’s simple, but the flavors?!?! You really can’t beat them. Never will I tire of basil, tomatoes, cheese and corn. Never.
Two, and this is totally random… but my brother text me asking for serious help. He and one of his “hommies” are having a biggest loser contest to see who can lose the most weight and he needs to know what to eat. Creighton LOVES food. In my opinion, not particularly good food, but the kid loves food. I’m talking, steak, wings, burgers, fries, any and all Mexican (as long as it has zero quinoa… or at least as long as he isn’t told there’s quinoa in it), pizza and basically anything that’s not green. We could not be more opposite in our eating habits, but I do love pizza and Mexican for sure.
Anyway, his text pretty much made my Monday night. It made me laugh, and laugh hard, and it made me happy because I think he is actually semi-serious about eating slightly healthier. Yeahh!!
Of course I told him all the good things to eat – quinoa included, plus veggies galore and lean proteins. We’ll have to see how this goes. I’d really love to literally make him a meal plan, and truly help him win this little contest he has going on, but time is so not on my side these days. UGH! If any of you guys out there have any tips/suggestions for him you’ve got to let me know in the comments section! I mean, we have to help him out! 🙂
PS. Creigh is really not extremely overweight, he does work out everyday, but his diet needs some serious work. With some tweaks I have significant confidence he will crush this contest. I’ll have to keep you updated! 🙂
Sorry, now back to the pasta…but I had to share that with you, it just made me laugh. You’d get that even more if you knew Creighton. Lol.
So, Charred Tomato and Corn Pesto Pasta!
I am really into fast and simple these days. Life is busy, and fast and simple is where it’s at, and I feel like you guys get that! One of my favorite things to do with cherry tomatoes, other than eat them fresh like sweet candy, is to roast them. It almost makes them seem sun-dried, and I LOVE that! They’re just sooo flipping good! They are my favorite over top pasta, pizzas and toast! Of course I also have to pair the tomatoes with basil, so naturally a simple basil vinaigrette (or pesto, but I only had fresh basil on hand so I just made a quick vinaigrette and it was delicious!) gets tossed over those quick cooking angel hair noodles and the corn. Can’t lie the corn may be my favorite part. Probably if only because I feel like I haven’t had corn in months (because I haven’t), but the corn just works here, and it works really well! 🙂
And then that’s it. Add some burrata and DONE.
Super simple, super fast.
Now let’s eat pasta!
Oh, but a quick note, you can use any cut of pasta you love, long or short. I grew up on angel hair, so when in doubt I go with that. Plus it takes like two-three minutes to fully cook and then it’s ready to go. Perfection.
Charred Tomato and Corn Pesto Pasta.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Italian
Keyword: corn, pasta, pesto, tomato
Basil, grilled corn, charred tomatoes and a big ball of burrata. Yes, I am definitely OK with that. It's basically summertime on a plate!
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs (I used basil oregano and dill)
- 2 cloves garlic divided minced or grated
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ears fresh corn grilled or charred under the broiler + corn cut away from the cob
- 1 pound angel hair pasta use gluten free pasta if needed
- 2 zucchini spiralized or very thinly sliced
- 1 cup basil vinaigrette or basil pesto recipe below
- 8 ounces fresh burrata or mozzarella
- large handful of fresh basil for serving
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or more to taste
- kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, olive oil, fresh chopped herbs, minced garlic and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper to a baking dish. Toss well, making sure the tomatoes are well coated in olive oil, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes collapse.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasta until al dente and drain well.
- Add the pasta to a large serving bowl and toss with the zucchini and basil pesto. Add the cherry tomatoes and grilled corn. Break the burrata over the pasta. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes and fresh basil. EAT!
- In a blender or food processor, blend the basil, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and a pinch red pepper flakes until smooth. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
No really, perfection, I could eat this every day and be happy… veggies, carbs and cheese! 🙂