Brie and Cheddar Butternut Squash Beer Soup, perfect for the chilly fall days ahead. It’s cozy, creamy, extra cheesy, and totally delicious. Cheesy beer soup made simply in one pot with pumpkin beer (or use hard cider), sharp cheddar cheese, and creamy brie. A little bit of butternut squash adds a layer of creaminess with a touch of sweetness that pairs perfectly with all the cheese and broccoli. It’s such a delicious beer cheese soup. Soft pretzels on the side for dipping and dunking are highly recommended.
For a lot of us, chillier days and especially nights have finally arrived. I live in a pretty cold environment. It’s been in the mid-20s to low-30s almost every early morning since I returned home from New York. It’s safe to say that our fall weather is here to stay.
With the colder temperatures upon us, I immediately got excited about all the fall soup recipes to come. It’s always so fun during the early days of a new season to break out the classics. I have SO MANY ideas and I’m excitedly wanting to share them all with you. Especially in the fall.
But oh this soup is so special. It’s inspiration came to me so simply. My local Whole Foods had honeynut squash for the first time – ever. I’ve never, ever been able to find these mini-looking butternut squash. So when I saw them I became so excited.
I bought every single one.
Yes, I called this butternut squash soup because butternut is much more common, but if you have access to sweet honeynut squash, get them!
Let’s get into the details
Step 1: start with the squash
As mentioned you can use butternut or honeynut squash. If you need to save time, just buy the pre-cut butternut squash from the store. Takes away all the prep work!
We love that.
Step 2: make the broth
Cook down an onion and add some thyme and sage. Then add the cubed squash and toss it up to coat. Now sprinkle in the flour, this will thicken the soup and help the soup stay smooth and creamy.
Step 3: puree the soup
Puree the soup using an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and then puree.
I have to say, I’ve been loving how easy the immersion blender makes creating a creamy soup. So quick and mess-free.
Step 4: add all the cheese
First, mix in some milk to make the soup even creamier. Then add broccoli. I love using broccoli to bulk the soup up. So delicious.
Now lots of cheddar cheese and brie cheese. Stir until melted, then season the soup up with cayenne pepper.
Step 5: enjoy, ideally with soft pretzels
There’s no better bread to pair with this soup than a soft pretzel. It’s become one of my favorite ways to enjoy almost any bowl of soup, but especially a beer cheese soup.
They’re not technically part of the recipe. But this soup really is best enjoyed with soft pretzels (links to all my soft pretzel recipes) on the side. They really complete the meal.
I’m excited to make this again today on Instagram stories, it’s the perfect fall soup. And my family is finally home, so they’ll get to try it out for Monday Night Football!
Looking for other fall soup recipes? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make this Brie and Cheddar Butternut Squash Beer Soup, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Brie and Cheddar Butternut Squash Beer Soup
Calories Per Serving: 419 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2-3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups bone, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 1 bottle/can (12 ounce) pumpkin beer/cider
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces creamy brie, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- kosher salt and black pepper
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Melt together the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, thyme, and sage, cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the butternut squash, toss, and cook 1-2 minutes. Mix in the flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add the broth, beer/cider, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, until the butternut squash is tender, about 15 minutes. 2. Remove the soup from the stove. Puree in a blender or use an immersion blender. 3. Return the soup to the stove and set over low heat. Stir in the milk, broccoli, cheddar cheese, and brie, cooking until melted and creamy. Add the cayenne.4. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a little extra cheddar or a wedge of brie. Enjoy, ideally with soft pretzels on the side.