Asada Mushroom Tacos with Lime Smashed Avocado.
Asada Mushroom Tacos with Lime Smashed Avocado.
And pineapple salsa too, because you know me, I love my fruity salsa.
Today marks the start of my Cinco de Mayo recipes. I know this may sound a little odd, but Cinco de Mayo is one of my favorite food days of the year. If I’m being honest, it totally beats out Thanksgiving. I know, that’s crazy, and I LOVE Thanksgiving so much, but generally speaking I just prefer a good taco over a roasted turkey. I did say food day, not holiday, and that’s just me…
Come Thanksgiving Day I’ll probably change my tune, but these are my thoughts as of right now.
Anyway, these mushroom tacos are quite possibly the best tacos I’ve ever had. Now I realize I say everything is the best, but for my personal taste buds, these tacos are the best I’ve ever had. I love anything veggie filled, slathered with avocado, and topped with fruit, so these are just my kind of flavors.
I LOVE them.
Hey, these tacos are the good for us kind of tacos, they’re full of veggies and healthy things, so there could be worse things to love, you know?
You guys are always asking where I get my recipe inspiration, so here’s today’s story. Do you guys remember this past summer when my family and I traveled to Mexico? We went to Puerto Vallarta for a week or so, and while we were there I had a meal that consisted of grilled mushrooms, pineapple, and an avocado sauce. It was so simple, but my favorite meal of the whole trip. While, you know besides the mass amounts of guacamole and fresh fruit that I consumed. I could live off of avocados and fruit. It’s true, I could.
We ate a ton of delicious meals while in Mexico, but to me, it was the veggie dishes that really stood out. I hadn’t thought about my mushroom meal since leaving Mexico, but in brainstorming ideas for Cinco de Mayo, I thought back to our Mexico trip and I immediately thought about how delicious a taco filling similar to that mushroom dish would be. So I set out to make veggie filled tacos, and here I am sharing them with you today.
And I am very excited about it.
For the mushrooms, I really wanted them to mimic the flavors of a classic Carne Asada style taco. SO, I used the seasoning from this asada recipe and tossed it together with the mushrooms. It’s a little chipotle, lots of orange, and a little garlic. If time allows, I would marinate the mushrooms for a few hours prior to grilling, to really give them the best flavor. If you don’t have access to a grill or grill pan right now, the mushrooms can also be roasted. Either way is delicious.
So that’s the mushrooms. Next comes the avocado. I’m one of those people who when it comes to avocado, believes in simplicity. Like a little flaky Maldon sea salt is really all they need. Maybe some lime, but the salt is where it’s at for me. It lets the flavors of the avocado shine. Just go with me on this one.
Then comes the pineapple. It’s your basic pineapple salsa, but man is it good, and especially with the mushrooms.
Put everything together and you’ll have yourself the perfect taco, that just so happens to be vegetarian and vegan. Although, I will admit that the vegan thing was completely by mistake. I meant to include cheese in these tacos, but forgot to add it when taking the photos.
Don’t worry, I added it after the fact. I’ll let you decide on cheese or no cheese. But my personal opinion…choose to add the cheese for crying out loud. K. Cool. Good.
Watch the How To Video:
Asada Mushroom Tacos with Lime Smashed Avocado
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keyword: avocado, vegan tacos
The perfect taco...that just so happens to be vegetarian and vegan!
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, halved
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped (or 2 teaspoons chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- corn or flour tortillas, warmed
Salted Lime Avocado
- 2 avocados, mashed
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- Maldon sea salt
- 1/2 of a small pineapple, cubed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- crumbled feta or cotija cheese, for serving (optional)
1. Add the mushrooms to a ziplock bag. Next add the olive oil, orange juice, garlic, chipotle peppers, paprika, lime juice, cilantro, and a large pinch of salt. Seal the bag and marinate 10 minutes or in the fridge up to overnight.
2. Meanwhile, stir together the avocado, lime juice and zest, and a pinch of salt.
3. To make the salsa. In a bowl, combine the pineapple, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, and a pinch of salt.
4. Preheat your grill or grill pan to high. Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and sear for 5 minutes, flip and sear another 5 minutes or until lightly charred on both sides. Slice into strips.
5. Spread the avocado onto the warmed taco shells, and top with the mushrooms, salsa, and cheese. Enjoy!
Tomorrow…something a little more sweet to balance out all this healthy!
Our Favorite Recipes
Strawberry Ripple Almond Cheesecake.