3 Cheese Everything Spice Grilled Cheese.
Apparently, I am all about comfort food this week, and this 3 cheese everything spice grilled cheese is no exception.
This week started off with zucchini carbonara pasta, we then went on to homemade whole grain waffles, and we are now moving right along to this very special grilled cheese. Why all the comfort food? Well, two reasons…
Reason one: the weather here in the mountains has been incredibly stormy this entire month, like I’m talking ever since I got back from Mexico on July 6th. As I type this it is thundering, lighting, and pouring rain (and also freezing). Meaning it’s totally comfort food time.
Reason two: as most of you know my grandma passed last Thursday night. Even more so than the weather, her passing has left me in the comfort food state of mind. Plus, Nonnie loved a good bowl of pasta, a plate of waffles, and most definitely a grilled cheese. Maybe this is my way of paying homage to this very special lady I am missing so incredibly much this week!
Okay now, this grilled cheese…
It’s really not like any other grilled cheese you’ve ever had…it is better. While that’s probably a bold statement, I feel pretty confident saying it.
Um? Hello? Three cheese. Everything Spice. Bread. Butter. All melted together. Yes, this is what all Wednesday food should look like.
I can’t really remember just when I thought up this grilled cheese. I know it was at least a couple of weeks ago, but for the life of me I cannot put a finger on just what it is that made me think to sprinkle everything bagel spice (which is a simple mix of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, garlic, and salt) over my grilled cheese.
Anyway, regardless of how this recipe came to be, I am SO happy it did. Because not only is it easy, it’s delicious. Like the best grilled cheese I’ve ever made, or had. Yes, the best.
Here’s the thing about grilled cheese sandwiches, for the most part, they should be made fairly simple. I’m not too into the over the top combos. This is mostly because I love a classic grilled cheese with bread, cheddar, and butter.
The thought of adding everything spice though? Oh my gosh, it was just too good to resist.
So here is how this grilled cheese goes down…
First things first…the cheese. I used sharp cheddar and havarti (fontina would be great too). I love, love, love this combo. The cheddar adds the bulk of the flavor, while the harvarti acts as the super melty, ooey, gooey cheese. Yummmmm.
Next up…the bread. Sandwich the two cheeses together using your favorite bread. I bought some really good seeded sourdough from Whole Foods that I thought was a pretty good pairing, but use your favorite loaf. Next, butter the outside of the bread, sprinkle with parmesan (the 3rd cheese) and everything spice, and add to a skillet to cook until the cheese has melted and the crust is deep golden and crunchy.
The cheese on the inside becomes that melty goodness we love so much, while the outside of the bread becomes crisp from the parmesan, which is literally pan-fried into the bread. And the everything spice? Well…
It. Is. So. Good.
Melted cheese + everything spice = perfection on so many levels.
And lastly, this grilled cheese sandwich proves that sometimes it’s the simplest things in life that truly are the best.
ps. part two of this recipe is coming tomorrow…because all grilled cheese sandwiches need to be dipped into something!
Everything Spice Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices thick cut bread
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded havarti or fontina cheese
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2-4 tablespoons everything bagel spice
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and a pat of butter.
2. Spread the outside of each slice of bread with butter and arrange the cheddar and havarti cheese on each side of the sandwich. Sprinkle the parmesan and everything spice over both buttered sides of the bread, pressing the spice mix gently into the bread to adhere.
3. Place the sandwiches, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side.
Everything Bagel Spice
- 3 tablespoons toasted white or black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried onion
- 2 teaspoons dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if needed
1. Combine everything in a small bowl or glass jar. Keep stored in a cool, dry place. If needed, season to taste with more salt.
If only all Wednesdays could include a grilled cheese like this…ah wait, they can!