Smoky Watermelon Lemon Margarita
A quick, easy, and refreshing summer margarita...finish with a salty chili lemon rimmed glass, herbs, and a watermelon wedge for that extra special touch!
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 8 ounces (1 cup) mezcal or silver tequila
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) Cointreau (orange liquor)
- juice from 2 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil and or mint leaves, torn
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 3-4 (12 ounce) cans sparkling water, for topping
1. To make the watermelon juice, blend 2 cups cubed watermelon in a blender. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a pitcher. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.2. Combine 2 cups watermelon juice, the Mezcal, Cointreau, lemon juice, mint/basil, and jalapeños in a large pitcher. Stir to combine and chill for 2 hours. The longer the jalapeños sit, the spicier the drink will be. Strain out the jalapeños and discard. Return the drink to the pitcher and chill until ready to serve.3. To make the chili salt. Combine all the ingredients on a shallow plate. Rim your glasses in salt.4. When ready to serve, fill the pitcher with ice. Pour into glasses and top off each glass with sparkling water. Garnish as desired with a watermelon wedge and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
If a Sweeter Drink is Desired: stir in 2-4 tablespoons honey or granulated sugar.
Orange Liquor: if you don't have orange liquor at home, you either omit (I often do) or use 2 teaspoons orange zest or a splash of orange juice.