Goat Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates with Rosemary Honey
Goat Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates with Rosemary Honey...my new holiday appetizer. They’re quick, easy, and everyone loves these sweet and savory bites.
- 6 ounces creamy goat cheese
- 24 plump Medjool dates
- 12 slices thinly sliced bacon, cut in half
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper using more or less to taste
- kosher salt and black pepper
- candied or toasted walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 2. Split the dates in half lengthwise, but don't cut the date all the way through. Remove the pit and discard. Stuff each date with goat cheese, then gently squeeze to seal. Wrap each date with bacon and place seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dates.3. In a small bowl, combine the honey, rosemary, cayenne, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Evenly drizzle 1/2 the honey over the dates. The goal is to coat the bacon in honey so that it caramelizes in the oven. 4. Transfer to the oven and bake 20-25 minutes, until the bacon is crisping. Serve warm or room temperature with any remaining honey and walnuts, if desired.
To Make Ahead: the dates can be assembled and refrigerated for up to a day before baking. Drizzle with honey just before baking, then bake as directed.
To Make Vegetarian: skip wrapping each date in bacon. Instead roast the goat cheese stuffed dates drizzled with honey. Then, serve with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt to replace that saltiness that bacon would add.