Fall Harvest Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Salad.
This salad is my fall staple salad. It's healthy, simple, so delicious, and perfectly fitting for crisp fall nights...and great for Thanksgiving too!
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, halved, peeled, and cut into 1/4 inch half circles
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 head kale, shredded
- 4 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- arils from 1 pomegranate
- 4-6 fresh figs (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded gouda cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. On a baking sheet, toss together the butternut squash, 1 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until the squash is tender.2. Line a separate baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the pepitas, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Arrange in a single layer. Transfer to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the pepitas are toasted. Watch closely!3. Meanwhile, in a large salad bowl, combine the kale, brussels sprouts, and pomegranates.4. To make the vinaigrette. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the shallots and sage, cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool slightly. Add the pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar, and honey. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. 5. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, tossing to combine. Add the roasted squash, gently tossing. Top the salad with toasted pepitas, figs, if using, and cheese. Eat and enjoy!
To Make Ahead: This salad can be made and assembled through step 4. Combine the greens, pomegranates, and roasted squash in a salad bowl, but leave the seeds out. Store the bowl in the fridge, covered, and keep the seeds and vinaigrette separate. Then, just before serving, warm the vinaigrette and toss the salad together.
Leftovers: leftovers will keep well for 2-3 days. This salad is delicious warmed or chilled.