The Best Strawberry Shortcakes
Sweet, buttery, and oh so flaky...overflowing with in-season strawberries and the lightest whipped cream. These classic strawberry shortcakes are a true summertime treat!
for the strawberries
- 1 pound strawberries, sliced horizontally (3 cups sliced)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, or more to taste
- zest of 1 lemon
for the shortcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold salted butter, cut into small cubes and refrigerated until ready to use
- 2/3 cup half-and-half, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar or turbinado sugar, such as Sugar In The Raw
1. To make the strawberries. Toss together the strawberries, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl, adding 1 additional tablespoon of sugar, if you prefer a sweeter shortcake. Let the fruit sit for 10-15 to release some of its juices; chill until ready to use.2. To make the shortcakes. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.3. In a food processor, pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt until incorporated, about 5 pulses. Add the butter and pulse until incorporated but with lots of pea-size pieces, 10 to 15 pulses (make sure not to overprocess). Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the half-and-half until just incorporated and fully moist (do not overwork!), adding more half-and-half a tiny bit at a time if necessary; the dough will be slightly sticky. 4. Transfer to a floured work surface and, using floured hands, gently knead twice, then form into a 6 x 1-inch square, adding more flour if necessary. Using a very sharp knife or a pastry cutter, cut the dough in half, then cut across each half two times to create six rectangular shortcakes. Brush the tops with the cream and sprinkle with the sanding sugar. Bake until the tops are lightly golden and bottoms are slightly deeper golden, 12 to 13 minutes. 5. Meanwhile, make the whipped cream. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the crème fraîche and honey and beat until incorporated, 30 seconds. Chill until ready to use. 6. To assemble, slice the shortcake horizontally and spoon ¾ cup of the strawberries and some of the juices onto the open shortcake. Top with ¾ cup of the whipped cream, then close with the other shortcake half. Enjoy!