Pan-Fried Feta with Peppered Honey.
Salty feta cheese, coated in Panko bread crumbs and pan-fried to golden perfection.
- 1 (10-12 ounce) block feta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced lemon zest (from about 1 lemon)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- pita chips or pita bread, for serving
1. To make the honey. Combine all ingredients in a glass jar.2. To make the feta. Whisk the egg in a shallow bowl. Add the Panko to a separate shallow bowl. Dip the feta through the egg, turning to coat, remove and allow any excess to drip off. Dredge the feta through the Panko, turning to coat and pressing gently to adhere. 3. Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the lemon zest and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute until fried. Remove from the skillet and set aside. To the same skillet add the feta and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer the feta to a serving plate.4. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, basil, and a pinch of salt. 5. Serve the feta warm, drizzled with honey and topped with fried lemon, thyme, and tomatoes. Enjoy with pita chips or bread.