Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Mushrooms and Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette
A mix of lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, rice noodles, crispy shallots, and grilled sesame marinated mushrooms caps. Add in some heat with a spicy peanut vinaigrette, and balance it all out with a squeeze of lime. This salad is naturally vegan, and gluten free too!
- 4 ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, shredded
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup each fresh cilantro and mint, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 Fresno or jalapeño pepper, sliced
1. Add the mushrooms to a ziplock bag. Next add the oil, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. Seal the bag and marinate 10 minutes, or in the fridge up to overnight.2. Meanwhile, cook the rice noodles according to package directions. 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, carrots, green onions, cucumbers, cilantro, and mint. 4. To make the vinaigrette. Combine all ingredients in a glass jar or measuring cup and shake (or whisk) until completely smooth. 5. Preheat your grill, grill pan, or skillet to high. Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and sear for 5 minutes, flip and sear another 5 minutes or until lightly charred on both sides. Slice into strips.6. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over hight heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pot to the paper towel lined plate. The shallots will crisp as they dry. 7. To serve, toss the salad with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette, then divide the salad among 4 bowls. Add rice noodles and mushrooms to each bowl. Drizzle each bowl with additional vinaigrette and top with shallots, peanuts and chili peppers. Enjoy!