Creamy Broccoli Pesto and Ricotta Pasta
A deliciously healthy-ish spring pasta bowl. Homemade broccoli pesto with raw broccoli, fresh basil, and a bit of parmesan. All tossed with hot pasta, fried lemon, and creamy ricotta cheese. It's a fresh springy take on pasta that's ready in 30 minutes or less.
- 1 large head of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound of your favorite pasta
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese, whipped in the food processor, if desired
1. In a blender or food processor, combine the broccoli, basil, parmesan, olive oil and a pinch of salt and crushed red pepper. Pulse until chunky smooth. 2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the pasta. 3. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shallot and lemon zest and cook until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Drop the pasta into the skillet. Add the broccoli pesto, lemon juice, and a pinch of pepper. Toss to combine. Thin the pasta, as desired, with the reserved pasta cooking water. 4. Spread the ricotta cheese into the bottom of each individual serving bowl. Spoon the pasta over the cheese. Swirl the pasta into the cheese. Enjoy!