Vanilla Chai Old Fashioned
Homemade spiced chai simple syrup, mixed with warming bourbon, winter citrus, a touch of vanilla, and fizzy sparkling water. Make the syrup ahead of time and keep in the fridge to mix up a quick drink in a moment's notice.
Chai Old Fashioned
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) bourbon
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 dash orange bitters
- 1-2 ounces (2-4 tablespoons) chai tea syrup
- sparkling water, for topping
- cinnamon and star anise, for serving (optional)
CHAI SIMPLE SYRUP
1. In a medium pot, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the chai tea bags, cover and steep 10-15 minutes. Remove the tea bags and add the maple. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 3-5 minutes, then remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla. Let cool. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
1. In a cocktail shaker, combine the bourbon, lemon juice, orange bitters, and 2 tablespoons of the chai syrup. Shake to combine.
2. Strain into a glass. If desired top with sparkling water. Garnish with cinnamon and star anise.