Spring Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken and Veggies
No standing at the stove stirring, minimal mess, and zero stress. Just what we all need on a Monday night!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4) pound whole chicken, backbone removed and butterflied*
- 2 lemons, 1 sliced and 1 for juicing
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 pound mixed baby spring potatoes, halved if large
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch asparagus ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup marinated artichokes
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. 2. In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, thyme, ginger, paprika, cayenne, and a large pinch each of salt and pepper. 3. In a large 12-inch skillet, layer the lemon slices, onions, garlic, and potatoes. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken, skin side down, over the potatoes and brush with half of the herb oil. Flip the chicken skin side up and coat in the remaining oil, being sure to cover the chicken completely. 4. Transfer to the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes. Pour the wine around the chicken. Add the asparagus and artichokes. Return the chicken to the oven and roast another 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Drizzle with lemon juice. Cut into pieces and serve. Enjoy!
*You can ask the butcher remove the backbone and butterfly the chicken or do it yourself. Start by removing the chicken giblets. Pat the outside dry. Place the chicken on a cutting board, breast side down, so that the chicken's back is facing up. Using a pair of sharp kitchen scissors, cut closely along either side of the backbone. Remove the bone and discard. Turn the chicken over so the breast is now facing up and press down firmly on the breast and flatten the chicken.
*Alternately, you can use a mix of chicken pieces (breast and thighs are best) equalling around 3-4 pounds. Cooking time will be a little less, so keep and eye on the chicken.
Calories: 710kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 248mg | Potassium: 1071mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1810IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 4.4mg