Slow Cooker Hearty Chicken Soup
The original recipe is made for the stovetop, but I ended up adapting it for the slow cooker to make things a little simpler. Plus, I just love the idea of chicken soup slow cooking all day long. I mean, the smell alone is worth making this!
Servings: 8 servings
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2-3 pounds bone-in chicken breasts or thighs
- kosher salt and black pepper
- juice + zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup dry farro
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro and or mixed herbs
1. In the bowl of your crockpot, combine the chicken stock, butter, olive oil, onions, carrots, parsnips, celery, leeks, peppercorns, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 4-5 hours. 2. About 45 minutes before serving, remove the chicken from the soup. Remove the herbs and discard. Stir in the lemon juice and zest, plus the farro. Shred the chicken and stir it back into the soup and cook until the farro is tender.3. Divide the soup among bowls and top with herbs. Serve with a hunk of bread.
Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the carrots, parsnips, celery, leeks, peppercorns, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, chicken stock, and chicken. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 2 hours. Shred the chicken. Stir in the lemon juice and zest, add the Farro and cook 25-30 minutes. Serve as directed.
Follow the slow cooker directions. Cover and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes and then use the quick release to release the steam. Shred the chicken, add the lemon and farro and cook on sauté until the farro are soft, about 15 minutes. Serve as directed.
*Adapted from Share Cookbook.
Calories: 382kcal | Protein: 45g | Fat: 47g | Cholesterol: 203mg | Sodium: 393mg | Potassium: 1550mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 11530IU | Vitamin C: 43.2mg | Calcium: 146mg | Iron: 5mg