Pomegranate Avocado Salad with Candied Walnuts
The thing I love most about this salad is the use of my favorite seasonal fruits, pomegranates and persimmons, creamy avocado, sweet and spicy walnuts, and my favorite blue cheese. It's a simple salad, but it is also full of bold flavors and so many textures.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups mustard greens or mixed greens
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 persimmons, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- arils from 1-2 pomegranates
- 6 ounces blue cheese, crumbed (or goat cheese or feta)
1. Preheat the oven 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the walnuts to the baking sheet and toss with the maple syrup, cayenne and a pinch of salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring 2-3 time throughout cooking until the walnuts are toasted and golden. Remove from the oven and spread the walnuts in one layer. Allow to cool.2. Add the greens to a large bowl. Add the persimmons, avocado, pomegranate arils, walnuts, and blue cheese. Give the salad a gentle toss.3. To make the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pomegranate juice, orange zest, and a pinch each of salt an pepper in a bowl or glass jar. Drizzle the dressing over the salad or serve along side the salad. Enjoy!
Calories: 555kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 420mg | Potassium: 625mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 945IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 1.7mg