Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Maple Pecans
Sweet, creamy, and topped with the most delicious maple pecans (possibly the best thing to ever be put on top of soup) and served in roasted sugar pumpkins. The perfect autumn soup!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick + 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cans (15 ounce) pumpkin puree
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Diamond of California Heirloom Pecans
- 4 slices prosciutto (optional)
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread
- 6 fresh sage leaves, chopped
1. Add 1/2 cup maple syrup and the cinnamon stick to a large soup pot, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the maple has thickened and reduced to a syrup. Be careful not to let it get too thick, you just want it to thicken to a honey consistency. 2. Slowly stir the pumpkin puree into the thickened maple syrup. Add the broth, thyme, nutmeg, cayenne and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until warmed through, about 10 minutes. Stir in the bourbon, if using, and 1/2 cup cream. Continue to cook another 5 minutes. If desired, add the remaining cream for a creamier soup. If the soup seems too thick, add more broth to thin. Keep over low heat until ready to serve. Remove the cinnamon stick. 3. Meanwhile, make the pecans. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pecans, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook, stirring often, until the pecans are toasted and golden, about 5-8 minutes. Remove the pecans from the pan to a parchment lined cutting board. Let cool and then roughly chop. 4. In the same skillet, cook the prosciutto until crisp. Remove and allow to cool, then add to a food processor along with the bread, process until fine crumbs. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet. Allow the butter to brown lightly until it smells toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and sage. Toast the mixture for about 5 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden. Season with salt and pepper. 5. Divide the soup between the roasted pumpkin bowls (see below). Top with pecans, bread crumbs, and sage. Enjoy!
Roasted Pumpkin Bowls
1.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 2. Remove the tops of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Rub the insides of the pumpkins with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes or just until soft to touch but not falling in.3. Serve warm with soup inside.
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 436mg | Potassium: 437mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 22595IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 2.6mg