Blueberry Brown Betty
You guys are going to love this easy to make dessert!
Servings: 8 servings
- softened unsalted butter, for greasing
- 6 cups blueberries (see note)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons sugar
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- pinch of kosher salt
- 4 cups lightly filled fresh bread crumbs (see note)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- vanilla ice cream or heavy cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 or 9-inch ovenproof skillet or baking pan. In a large bowl, toss the blueberries with 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the crumbs with the melted butter and 3 tablespoons sugar.2. Layer half the blueberries into the prepared skillet. Top with one-third of the bread crumb mixture. Layer the remaining blueberries over the top. Finish with the remaining crumbs. 3. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the top is golden and the edges are bubbling. Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving the brown betty with ice cream or heavy cream.
*To make fresh bread crumbs, simply pulse the bread, preferably at least day old bread, in a food processor until roughly the size of peppercorns. If you are using bread with a thick crust, remove the crust before pulsing. Dried breadcrumbs or Panko should not be used in place of fresh.
*This recipe can be made with other fruits, too. For an autumn version, use 6 to 8 apples, peeled and thinly sliced, and add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with the sugar.
*This recipe was reprinted, with permission from Bread Toast Crumbs by Alexandra Stafford.
Calories: 437kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 406mg | Potassium: 200mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 445IU | Vitamin C: 14.4mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 3mg