Mean Green Detox Vegetable Soup.
This Mean Green Detox Vegetable Soup is packed with all kinds of winter vegetable, green lentils for protein, and spices like garlic, ginger, and cayenne that will help fight off winter colds plus rev your metabolism.
Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek halved + sliced
- 4 carrots chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 inch piece of ginger grated
- kosher salt + pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 quarts low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups roughly torn kale
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 head purple cabbage shredded
- zest + juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley plus cilantro
- [vegan parmesan | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/the-mean-green-detox-salad/] or regular parmesan for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the leeks and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cayenne, broth, soy sauce, and vinegar. Add 2 cups water and bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Stir in the lentils, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the kale, broccoli, and cabbage and continue cooking until the lentils and broccoli are tender, about 10-15 minutes longer.
Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice, parsley and cilantro. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with vegan parmesan.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 449mg | Potassium: 874mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 12525IU | Vitamin C: 110.4mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 4.1mg