Roasted Harvest Veggie, and Curried Avocado + Coconut Rice Bowls
So I gotta say, this is kind of the best healthy comfort food I have had in a while. I could totally eat this all week; carbs, coconut, curry, avocado, maple roasted fall veggies, pecans.
Servings: 6 Servings
Roasted Harvest Veggies
- 1/2 cups a butternut squash peeled, cubed and seeds removed (about 1 to 1 1/2 )
- 1/2 in an acorn squash sliced 1/2-inch thick rounds and seeds removed
- 1 small sweet potato chopped
- 1 1/2 cups raw brussels sprouts stems cut off then cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup goat cheese or blue cheese crumbled
- arils from one pomegranate or may sub dried cranberries here is how to [deseed the pomegranate | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/deseed-pomegranate-pictures/]
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 cup light canned coconut milk
- 3/4 cup coconut water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, the chili powder, cayenne, maple syrup and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Spread the veggies out in a single layer on one or two baking sheets. Drizzle the olive oil mixture over the veggies and toss well to coat. Roast until vegetables are tender and starting to brown, 35 to 45 minutes, stirring the veggies halfway through. During the last 15 minutes add the pecans and toss to coat.
While the veggies roast start the rice. Add the coconut milk and coconut water to a medium size pot. Bring to a low boil and then add the rice, salt, unsweetened coconut and coconut oil. Stir to combine and then place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible. Allow the rice to cook ten minutes on low and then turn the heat off completely and let the rice sit on the stove, covered for another 20 minutes (don't take any peeks inside!). After 20 minutes remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Note that rice can cook differently for everyone, this is just what works for me.
Make the curried avocado. In a bowl lightly mash the avocado. Stir in the cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, curry powder, honey, ginger, cayenne and a pinch of salt and pepper. Lightly mash once more.
To assemble your bowls, add rice to each bowl top with roasted veggies and dollop with a good amount of avocado. Top with goat cheese or blue cheese, the roasted pecans and pomegranate arils. Serve!
Serving: 4g | Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 425mg | Potassium: 850mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 5010IU | Vitamin C: 40.1mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 2.5mg