I live in a small town. I mean not that small, but small enough to not be able to find sesame crackers, sesame sticks or sesame anything for that matter! Anywhere!
Actually I take that back, occasionally I find a box at target. But that is it, just one box! I know, crazy right? So I wiped away my tears, turned my oven on, got my butter, sesame seeds, and flour. OMG you guys, let me tell you, the homemade version is good! Like really good. Way better than from a box with like 75 ingredients.
See they are the perfect cracker for the holidays. They are the perfect combination of crunchy, buttery and slightly sweet. You can serve them as an appetizer paired with a savory cheese, as a snack or even paired with coffee, tea, or maybe hot cocoa after dinner. These crackers are a triple threat!
I made a Mascarpone Cheese spread to sit on top of these guys. It is the perfect topping for these crackers! Really, is there a better snack than cheese and crackers? Yeah, that is what I thought.
Serve these at your next holiday party. Everybody goes crazy for cheese and crackers!
Sesame Crackers with Cranberry Cheese Spread
Servings: 32 Cracker
Calories Per Serving: 89 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- For the Crackers:
- 3/4 cup sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for the baking sheets
- 1/2 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- For the Cheese Spread:
- 8 Oz Mascarpone Cheese or Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese finely shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup dried Cranberries chopped
- Toast the sesame seeds in a large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, salt and baking powder and beat until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low; add the flour and 1/4 cup of the toasted sesame seeds and beat until just combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil and butter the parchment or foil. Form teaspoonfuls of dough into small balls, then roll in the remaining 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds, pressing to coat. Arrange the balls about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Gently flatten each ball with the palm of your hand.
- Bake, switching the position of the pans halfway through, until dark golden around the edges, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool 1 minute on the baking sheets, then carefully remove the cookies with a thin metal spatula and transfer to racks to cool completely.
- For the Cheese:
- Combine the mascarpone cheese, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, dried cranberries, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. MIx well.
- Spread a thick layer on each cracker or serve along side crackers as a spread.
I think I will grab some crackers for munching and cozy up to a Christmas movie….. such a nerd.