This Pesto Pizza with Feta Stuffed Crust is perfect for those nights when you’re looking for really good pizza, but don’t want to head out. Homemade pizza dough baked up with a feta stuffed crust, topped with basil pesto, three kinds of cheese, roasted red peppers, pepperoni, and a house style “pizza seasoning”. As soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, top with basil, slice, eat, and ENJOY. Every last bite of this pizza is delicious and will leave you wanting more. The cheese-filled garlicky herb crust is basically like garlic bread and makes for one delicious pizza!
You know, some weeks really are just better than others. Last week I struggled big time. Everything I made I wasn’t feeling the most confident about. Fortunately, this week is totally different. I’ve really loved every recipe I’ve made. So much so that I’m sharing them with you guys as soon as possible. Like Monday’s Gordita CRUNCH tacos and now today’s Pesto Pizza with Feta Stuffed Crust.
I had this idea earlier in the week. And while I had about 10% of my brain questioning the idea, the other 90% of my brain was nothing short of excited. So, I didn’t second it guess it like I usually do. Instead, I just created it. And you guys, this pizza is really just everything delicious.
I’m so excited to be sharing it here today. I feel like it’s perfect for this week since so many of us are really freezing our butts off with this winter weather!
(pizza before baking)
If you’re on Tiktok, you know all about the feta pasta that has basically broken the internet. I feel like it’s everywhere right now. Every other person is currently remaking it and then sharing the recipe. Look, I’m sure that pasta really is delicious, but if someone has already shared it, you probably don’t need to see it from me.
So, that kind of left me thinking about feta cheese. I love feta, but so often it’s just used for salads and things like that. So I kept thinking and thinking. And thinking more, and then? I had the idea to do a feta stuffed crust pizza. It’s actually a recipe I did way, way, way back when I first started to cook for my family. But I had forgotten all about it until now. The idea obviously excited me. So, as I said above, I left my doubts behind and created the recipe.
And in my eyes? It might just be the perfect pizza. It’s truly just SO GOOD. As in roll your eyes back, eat a slice, and then immediately go back for seconds… before everyone else gets at. Dramatic, but for me personally, that’s the truth.
Here are the details. First, the crust.
It’s essential to this pizza and really sets it apart from all others. If I had to describe the crust, it’s cheesy garlic bread for your pizza. It’s DELICIOUS.
And it is really easy to make. Just take pizza dough…I always make mine at home, but store-bought is great too…use what’s easiest for you! Roll the dough out, then stuff it with a mix of feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic, and herbs around the edge.
The garlic herbs mix is just basil, oregano, garlic, and chili flakes…very similar to what you might find in your favorite garlic bread. But then there’s feta? it’s the real stand-out. As it bakes inside the crust, it turns melty and creates the perfect cheesy crust situation. One that people don’t expect…but of course love.
Now the toppings.
I kept them simpler since the crust is already so delicious and flavorful.
I did a little basil pesto, three kinds of cheese, roasted red peppers, and pepperoni. The pesto base is my favorite, but the pepperonis really are what excite me most. I just love a good cheesy pepperoni pizza. This one is just a touch more, hmm, let’s go with elevated than all the rest!
That said, the pepperoni is completely optional. If you don’t enjoy pepperoni…leave them off!
Assemble and bake.
I like to bake the pizza on a sheet pan, or in a pizza oven, or in the upper position of the oven at a super high temp. Ideally, at the highest temp your oven will go! It’s key to a really beautiful crust.
The pizza cooks pretty fast, so in less than fifteen minutes you’ll have amazing pizza. AND…your kitchen will smell incredible. Like cheesy garlic bread baking away, but with a pizza twist! As soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, slice it, top it with basil, and eat. This one is meant to be eaten hot…preferably while sitting by a crackling fire with your favorite people…and maybe a drink in hand too. Live it up pizza night, you know?!
Looking for other wintery pizzas? Here are a few to try:
Lastly, if you make this Pesto Pizza with Feta Stuffed Crust be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Pesto Pizza with Feta Stuffed Crust
Calories Per Serving: 385 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 3/4 pound pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- 1/3 cup basil pesto, homemade or store bought (recipe for homemade https://bit.ly/37nz5YF)
- 1/2 cup green olives finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red peppers drained, and thinly sliced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or asiago cheese
- 3 ounces pepperoni, sliced
- 1. Position the oven rack in the upper 1/3 portion of your oven. Preheat the oven to 500° F. for at least 30 minutes before baking, preferably 1-2 hours ahead. If you have a baking stone, start preheating it.2. To make the herb seasoning, combine the basil, oregano, grated garlic, lemon zest, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.3. Combine the feta, 1/3 cup mozzarella, and 2 tablespoons of the herb seasoning in a bowl. 4. On a lightly floured surface, push/roll the pizza dough out until it is pretty thin (about a 12-14 inch circle). Place the pizza dough on a lightly oiled sheet pan. Arrange the feta cheese mix around the edge of the dough. Fold the edges of the dough over the cheese, pinching to seal the cheese inside. 5. Spread on the pesto and olives. Sprinkle on 2/3 cup mozzarella, the fontina, and parmesan. Add the red peppers and pepperoni. Sprinkle the remaining herb seasoning over top.6. Slide into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pizza, and bake another 3-5 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted. Top the pizza with fresh basil. ENJOY!