This is what it currently looks like outside…..
So baking was a no brainer! In fact I am already plotting out my holiday baking! So excited…
It seems we always have some brown banana’s on the counter. So when I was trying to think of something to make I decided banana’s must be included! I also figured it would be a nice break from all the pumpkin treats I have baked up lately (don’t despair, recipes to come)!
I made muffins because honestly every time I bake banana bread the middle never cooks. I mean really I can not get it to cook! It gets burnt on the edges, but is still batter in the middle…….frustrating! Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe it’s the elevation, we live at almost 9500 feet.
Really muffins are cuter anyway, and they are great, on the go snacks. Around here though you can not make a treat or snack without at least a little chocolate. So I added some and then I thought what goes better with bananas and chocolate than…. peanut butter, so I added that to!
Oh, ya and then there is that teaspoon of nutella you add to each muffin. Trust me this makes for one amazing bite! Seriously, people eyes will widen with pleasure. I know from experience.
You can either make a swirl with the nutella using a toothpick or knife or you can push it down towards the middle of your muffin for a nice surprise in the middle! Or you can do a mixture of the two!
The bananas make the muffins so moist. They also bump up the nutritional factor of the muffins. The bananas along with the peanut butter and whole wheat flour makes these muffins a much healthier treat.
Right after these photos were taken the boys walked in from snowboarding…..Yes, you read that correct. There are currently three mountains now open, with the rest all scheduled to open with the next two weeks!
Anyway, it is a good thing I got these photos because they were gone within 10 minutes of the boys arrival. To say they loved them is an understatement!
nutella swirled peanut butter banana muffins
Servings: 16 muffins
Calories Per Serving: 264 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 4 very ripe bananas mashed*
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white flour*
- 1/2 Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 19 teaspoons heaping Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two muffin pans with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together bananas, peanut butter, oil, egg, vanilla and sugars. A stand mixer can be used to beat the wet ingredients.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir or mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX. Fold in chocolate chips. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan.Fill 3/4 the way up or just under that, do not over fill.. Drop 1 teaspoon of Nutella on top of each muffin. Swirl with a knife or scoop batter over the Nutella for a filling instead of a swirl. I did a mixture of both.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Baking times may vary.*
- Let cool in loaf pan for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges of the muffin pan with a knife and remove, transferring muffins to a cooling rack.
View Recipe Comments
* I used four small banana's, if you banana's are on the larger side just use three. * All white flour can be used, just make sure to use1 1/2 cups of flour total. *Do not overmix the batter! Overmixed batter leads to tough, crumbly baked goods. * I baked mine for 20 minutes but they were on the dough side, but we like them that way!
Ok, now I need to go find the heat fan, or the sun as the boys call it, since they really are quite bright. It may be frigid out, but it’s snowing, which means the holidays are almost here!