This Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup with Salty Lime Chips is the perfect bowl to warm up to on cold fall and winter days. Made with fire-roasted tomatoes, poblano peppers, smoky chipotle peppers, and shredded chicken, it’s hearty but healthy and so delicious. Top each bowl of tortilla soup with homemade salty lime chips, plenty of cheddar, fresh cilantro, and avocado too. This bowl of tortilla soup is a cozy meal that you can feel good about eating. Just be sure to serve with plenty of those salty chips…they’re a must.
Welcoming the week with yet another warming bowl…and yet another slow cooker recipe. But don’t worry, you can easily make this on the stove-top or even in the instant pot too! As always, I want everyone to have the ability to make each and every recipe I share!
This is crazy, but we’re going on our third Monday of slow cooker recipes. There’s been healthier slow cooker creamy tortellini vegetable soup, slow cooker saucy Sunday bolognese pasta, and now today’s tortilla soup. I’m starting to wonder if I should just make this a new fall Monday “thing”. Slow Cooker Mondays? What do we think? In my mind, it sounds like a good idea. But I know myself, and believe that I’d get bored. This string of slow cooker recipes has really just been a coincidence.
However, I am definitely NOT bored with today’s Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup…it’s DELICIOUS. And the chips on top? They seal the deal on this bowl and make it a soup worth calling dinner. I made this yet again over this the weekend. It’s just one of those recipes that are loved not only by those you serve it to…but also by you, the cook! Everyone who cooks can appreciate a recipe that’s both delicious and easy.
The inspiration for this one was simple. I tend to get hyper-focused on fall foods, where I only make dishes like butternut squash pasta, creamy broccoli cheddar soup, and well, more pasta with squash. All with lots of fresh sage. So I felt like we needed to spice things up a little today…tortilla soup in for the win!
This tortilla soup is simple, here are the details.
This is a tried and true, one and done, slow cooker recipe. Meaning, this is EASY.
Everything goes into the slow cooker, cooks all day, and you’ll come home to a perfectly delicious bowl of tortilla soup. It doesn’t get any easier.
That being said, there are a few reasons why this soup is one of the best, and oh so flavorful. I like to use a combination of fire-roasted tomatoes, poblano peppers, and smoky chipotle peppers in adobo. In the past, I’ve made shortcut versions of tortilla soup, but I can now say, nothing beats out this version. It’s so rich in flavor and beyond good.
Once the slow cooker has finished cooking, simply shred the chicken and stir in lots of lime juice and fresh cilantro.
But there’s one more thing…the toppings.
And guys, the toppings are the real secret. Tortilla soup is always delicious, but what makes tortilla soup over the top good are the toppings. So you have to do them all!
I layer as follows: a thick layer of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, a dollop of yogurt, and sliced avocados. Then sprinkle on lots of fresh cilantro and green onions too.
And lastly, those salty lime chips. Yes, you can use store-bought tortilla chips if you’re in a hurry, but if you have time make them yourself. These salty lime chips are addictingly good. I just take corn tortillas and fry them in a bit of avocado oil (or olive oil). You only need a fourth of a cup, we’re not deep-frying these! Once the strips are all fried, simply zest a lime over top, then sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
YUM. You have to make the chips. As I said above, they really do seal the deal on this soup.
And guys, that’s pretty much it for this one. I love a simple Monday meal and this soup is just that! Simple as can be, but every spoonful is so delicious. Think a little spicy, a touch smoky, filled with chicken, peppers, cheese, chips, and all those toppings. The best bowl of tortilla soup!
Looking for other fall dinners with a little kick? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make this Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup with Salty Lime Chips
Calories Per Serving: 178 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless, chicken breast
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- juice of 2 limes, plus lime zest for serving
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
- sliced avocado, cheddar, and yogurt, for serving
- salty lime chips (recipe in notes)
- 1. In the bowl of your crockpot, combine the olive oil, onion, garlic, poblano peppers, chipotle peppers, paprika, cumin, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the chicken, then stir in the tomatoes and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours. 2. Shred the chicken using two forks. Stir in the lime juice, and cilantro. 3. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top, as desired, with yogurt/sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, green onions, and tortilla chips. Zest a lime over each bowl. Eat and enjoy!
- 1. Set the instant pot to sauté. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, poblano peppers, chipotle peppers, paprika, cumin, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook 5-10 minutes, until very fragrant. Turn the instant pot off. Add the chicken, then stir in the tomatoes and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.2. Once done cooking, use the quick release and release the steam. Shred the chicken using two forks. Stir in the lime juice, and cilantro. 3. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top, as desired, with yogurt/sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, green onions, and tortilla chips. Zest a lime over each bowl. Eat and enjoy!
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion, garlic, poblano peppers, chipotle peppers, paprika, cumin, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook 5-10 minutes, until very fragrant. Add the chicken, then stir in the tomatoes and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. 2. Shred the chicken using two forks. Stir in the lime juice, and cilantro. 3. Ladle the soup into bowls. Top, as desired, with yogurt/sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, green onions, and tortilla chips. Zest a lime over each bowl. Eat and enjoy!
Salty Lime Chips: heat 1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add 4 thinly sliced corn tortilla strips. Fry 1 minute, then toss and fry another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with lime zest and flaky sea salt. Repeat with 4 more tortillas.