BBQ Margarita Chicken Tostadas with Sweet Jalapeño Margarita Salsa.
Here is what every Monday needs.
Especially the Monday after a holiday weekend when NO ONE wants it to actually be Monday.
These are the cure.
Ok well, these and maybe a nice nap too. That would be really nice, but that’s just so not going to happen.
But you gotta eat, so why not have a little Monday fun? It just makes sense.
So let’s talk about my new-found addiction to Etsy. It’s insane and also going to make me completely broke, BUT Etsy has some of the cutest stuff and since I live in a place that has zero shopping, I am an online girl all the way. But Etsy? Well, it is a love/hate relationship. I love it because I can find some of the coolest stuff, but I hate it because it is so crazy expensive… sometimes shipping costs more than the item being bought, and it takes weeks to actually get to me.
It would seem there are more cons than pros, but for some reason I keep circling back… and paying. UGH.
I have been in desperate need of new dishes and things to shoot with.
The thing is, I get really bored using the same things in photos over and over, so I have had fun looking for new stuff to shoot with.
I even had my dad out looking all weekend. He went to probably a dozen weirdo antique stores (and the Denver Flea Market) from here to Denver and had almost zero luck. I feel bad cause the guy spent his weekend off of work searching high and low for me, and then the whole two days kind of ended up being a bust.
My mom and Asher went too, actually my brother Creighton even went one of the days, but apparently my dad led the charge. I heard my mom was actually laying outside one of the stores sleeping in the sun while my dad combed through the junk.
So yeah, how good of a dad do I have?
Granted, I think he was a little bored without his “boys” here right now (they’re in Aspen at some training thing for Red Bull riders, or something like that), so his weekend was open, but still no one can beat him. He even searches ebay for boards for me to shoot on. I mean, he’s the best. No complaints here.
He didn’t come back completely empty handed though, he did bring back that old light blue cast iron pot you see. It’s from somewhere around 1900 and totally beat up, I am loving it.
New favorite thing.
Along with Margarita Tostadas on a Monday of course.
That’s obvious though.
Oh and that salsa? Well guys, I just want you to know I am on a crazy salsa kick right now. Meaning I have made one every other day and they are all ones you will be seeing. Almost all of them contain some kind of tropical fruit. Salsa without fruit is now a foreign concept to me.
BBQ Margarita Chicken Tostadas with Sweet Jalapeno Margarita Salsa.
BBQ Margarita Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of your favorite [BBQ Sauce | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-barbecue-sauce-just-like-sweet-baby-rays/]
- 2 tablespoons tequila optional
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- 1 jalapeño seeded + finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper
Sweet Jalapeno Margarita Salsa
- 1 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes drained, 14.5
- 3/4 cup mango finely diced (pineapple, peaches, nectarines or really any other fruit would also work)
- 2 jalapeños seeded + finely chopped (use 1 for less heat)
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons tequila optional
- good pinch of salt
- 4-8 corn tortillas
- canola oil
- 1 batch [Mexican Fries | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/loaded-crockpot-carne-asada-tacos/]
- 1 avocado mashed with a pinch of salt, pepper and chopped cilantro + lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- queso fresco or cotija cheese crumbed
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add canola oil, about 1/4 teaspoon at a time, add one tortilla and cook for about 30-60 seconds per side, until just golden and bubbly. Remove and let drain on a paper towel. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat.
- In a medium bowl mix together the [BBQ Sauce | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-barbecue-sauce-just-like-sweet-baby-rays/], tequila, lime zest, orange zest, lime juice, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, salt and pepper.
- In another medium size bowl combine the chicken, olive oil and 1/4 cup of the BBQ Margarita sauce. Toss well. When the grill is hot, grill the chicken for 6 to 7 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from the grill and allow to rest five minutes. After five minutes shred the chicken and toss with 1/2 cup of the BBQ Sauce. Keep warm.
- While the chicken is grilling toss together the salsa. In a medium bowl combine the diced tomatoes, diced mango, jalapeños, green onions, cilantro. lime zest, orange zest, lime juice, tequila and salt. If desired you can add the salsa to a blender and pulse until your desired consistency is reached. I leave mine chunky.
- To serve, grab a crispy corn tortilla and spread the avocado over the bottom. Now add the shredded chicken. Drizzle with a little BBQ sauce and top with [Mexican Fries | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/loaded-crockpot-carne-asada-tacos/], greek yogurt, salsa, cheese and cilantro...fiesta time!
As are boring Mondays, so not cool. So go on now, tostada them up!