Brightening up Wednesday with this 20 Minute Honey Garlic Butter Scallops and Orzo.
Over the past week I’ve realized something, I seem to go through “food phases”. Sometimes I’m all about tacos and all things Mexican. Other times it’s Italian, and pasta this pasta that. I’ve noticed this before, but I get stuck in a “food phase” and I tend to just roll with it until I get bored. I’m not complaining, because you can never have too much Mexican or too much pasta, but I realized recently that I hadn’t made any kind of fish or seafood in ages because I’ve been in Italian food go mode, example one and example two. I decided that I needed to switch things up, and in came these scallops. Of course I’m somehow still incorporating pasta, but again, you can never have too much pasta, you know?
Anyway, I’m not sure what the real point of that rambling session up there was, but hey it opened up the post for today and I’m just going to go with it.
Speaking of today, it’s Wednesday! It sort of feels more like a Friday though, since this week got off to a busy, busy start with Kai and I filming a bunch of new videos (five a day both Monday and Tuesday, excited to share soon!). Of course there were also the usual less exciting things, like meetings, and emails. All this while my mom (and HBH’s better half) has been working hard on getting the Studio Barn finished up, which I’m excited to say is getting very, very close to being done.
Between the two of us, it was a productive first half of the week, which you know I love. The other reason today is feeling more like a Friday is because I’m cramming in as much computer time as possible before heading off to Cleveland late tonight. My younger brother, Red is throwing out the first pitch at the Indians home opener on Friday, so the whole family is all heading back to Ohio to watch the game. I’m just going for a couple of days and will be home on Saturday, but it will fun to see family and hang with the brothers. Currently, I am trying to convince Red to do an Instagram live with me on Thursday, so maybe keep an eye open for that. Always love getting in front of the camera with that kid as he makes everything fun.
OK. Moving along now. Let’s talk recipe things.
These scallops. Oh my gosh, I cannot say enough good words about these scallops. They are one hundred and ten percent delicious, so easy to make, and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a last-minute dinner party.
To be honest, I don’t cook with scallops all too often. I normally turn to salmon or shrimp when it comes to seafood, but in an effort to keep things fun, different, and interesting in the kitchen, I decided to get creative with scallops. I’m a huge fan of the honey, garlic, and butter combo with shrimp, so I decided to take those flavors and use them for my scallops.
Best. Idea. Ever.
You know how good shrimp is with that combo? Yeah, well scallops are even better. They’re fancier, tastier, and when tossed in with some spices and that honey, garlic, butter combo? Truly just addicting. You could eat the scallops alone for sure, but you guys know me, I had to add some carbs, because I like a full meal.
I’m on a big orzo kick right now. It’s super quick cooking, and a nice carb to compliment the scallops. I decided on a lemony orzo, with feta and lots of fresh dill. And guys?
The spicy, sweet, and buttery scallops atop the lemon and feta orzo is mouth wateringly good.
PS. if you wanted to add a pop of green color, I’m feeling like spinach or arugula would be delicious tossed in with the orzo.
OK. Okay. Let’s recap here.
Quick cooking? Yes.
Minimal ingredients? Yup.
Delicious? FOR SURE.
So basically, you need to make these scallops tonight, because there’s zero reason not to. Got it? Get it? COOL.
20 Minute Honey Garlic Butter Scallops and Orzo
Servings: 6 servings
Calories Per Serving: 634 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Collection
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- juice from 1 lemon
- 8 ounces feta cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 pounds large scallops
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- baby arugula and or micro greens, for serving
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain the pasta and toss with the dill, lemon juice, feta, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. 2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the scallops and sear on both sides until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the honey, garlic, ginger, jalapeño, and cayenne. Cook 1-2 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant. Add the butter and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. 3. Divide the orzo among plates. Spoon the scallops and any sauce left in the pan over the orzo. Sprinkle with chives and arugula. Enjoy!
Dinner done right.