It’s kind of like Starbucks, but BETTER.
At least I think so.
Although, in full disclosure I have never actually had a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. Yeah, never. I am just not a coffee drinker….yet.
I may be turning into one, not sure.
I love the smell of coffee, I love the idea of coffee, but coffee itself?
I have never been able to down it without shaking. Blame my mom who, has never been a coffee drinker either. I know I have told you this before, but she actually drinks hot chocolate… like coffee. Yup, that means a cup or two every single morning. She never skips it and if she does she honestly gets withdrawal headaches. No joke, you do not want to be around her if she has not had her hot chocolate. Let’s just say it is not all that much fun.
My dad on the other hand loves his coffee.
But he is not fancy. He actually likes the cheap stuff (think Walmart Great Value brand – a little treat for him is Costco’s version) and he drinks it as black as black can get. No cream, no sugar.
I was kind of tired of hearing/reading about these Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes.
I mean really, it seems every last person is talking about them, tweeting about them, instagraming them, facebooking them. Yeah you get it.
They are popular.
The other day, after reading this post (best part of every single Tuesday) and visiting this amazing recipe for a traditional pumpkin spice latte I just gave in. I needed to make one. I need to try one for myself. I needed to see what all the hype was about.
I just needed to.
But then, I went to get out all the ingredients and as I was pulling out the vanilla I dropped a can of coconut milk right on my big toe.
That hurt like heck and I then proceeded to jump around for good two minutes singing “owe, owe, owe, owe”. The I was like oh, wait. TOASTED COCONUT CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE!
It was happening.
Oh yes. Now THAT I knew I would like.
And I did.
It’s awesome and the perfect warm and cozy fall treat that is ready in like maybe eight minutes – tops. It’s freaking awesome!
Toasted coconut and chocolate make everything better, but especially on Friday. It’s a Friday treat for sure!
Toasted Coconut Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Latte with Chocolate Drizzle
*Measurements adapted from [Recipe Girl | http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/10/10/how-to-make-a-pumpkin-spice-latte/]
Yields: 1 large drink!
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon canned coconut milk (lite or regular)
- 1 tablespoon pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons of your favorite hot cocoa powder, I used [ghirardelli chocolate mocha - http://www.ghirardelli.com/store/shop-products/collections/hot-cocoa-beverages/chocolate-mocha-hot-cocoa-pouch.html]
- 1/2 - 1 cup strong hot coffee (I used 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut, toasted
- whipped cream or [coconut whipped cream | http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/corn-fritters-with-coconut-whipped-cream-and-sweet-honey-bourbon-syrup/], for topping
- Chocolate Caramel Drizzle
- 2 tablespoons of [ this coconut caramel sauce | http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/snickers-coconut-caramel-cupcakes/] or store bought caramel sauce
- 1 teaspoon chocolate chips
In a glass measuring cup or microwave-safe bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup coconut milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, but watch closely to make sure the milk does not boil over. Remove from the microwave when the coconut milk is hot.
To the hot coconut milk add 3-4 tablespoon hot cocoa powder (I used 4) and whisk to dissolve. Add the vanilla and coconut extract (if using) and whisk once more.
Pour the mixture into a tall mug or glass. Add hot coffee and a tablespoon of coconut milk.
Add the caramel sauce and chocolate chips to a small bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds, sir and microwave another 15 second or until melted. Stir to combine.
Top the drink off with coconut whipped cream and then drizzle with the chocolate sauce and sprinkle with a heavy dose of toasted coconut.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 8 minutes
For sure, for sure, for sure!